Clemmons, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
First time above ground pool owner here trying self installation for a 24’ round pool. Im eager to start the process for setting it up and was wondering if anyone sees any issue with contracting someone to level the ground for the pool months before I actually set the pool up. My goal is to have the pool up by mid april and then build a deck so its ready for memorial day weekend. I figure its going to take some time to dig and level the pavers that the uprights will rest on. We do get rain/snow in feb, mar. Snow is pretty rare around here in april, but we do get rain. I wasn’t sure if the elements could unlevel the ground. Any advice appreciated!

Hi and welcome to TFP!!! With the right planning and thinking things through you COULD get to work now!

The rain will help if you set it up just right. The rain will show you areas that need work.

You will need to block the rain from running down to and through the area you dig out. Show us the area you are thinking of using and we can guide you.

I'm with Kim. If leveling is going to disturb the existing soil, then doing so well in advance seems prudent to me. That will give the disturbed surface time to settle, and rain would even help that along. I think that's a safer course of action than disturbing soil and putting a pool on it right away. Then in spring you can recheck the level and make any minor adjustments needed, in case things did shift.

Not to mention you'll be able to stare out the window at the flat spot and envision yourself and your family splashing and lounging in your new pool! :shark:

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks for the great advice! Cant wait to get started! I drew in blue where the pool will go. We are planning to do it fully above ground. We are going to move that sandbox too.

Attachments

• 2506396D-AF02-4E60-AD51-3B75D4B21C5E.jpeg
    2506396D-AF02-4E60-AD51-3B75D4B21C5E.jpeg
    683.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 41561451-C1E5-4035-A21F-F7248743BBE1.jpeg
    41561451-C1E5-4035-A21F-F7248743BBE1.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 30
Nice yard! Glad to see no big slope so no real fear of a big rain from washing out any of your work!

So have you done any reading on how to level the area for a pool? There are a LOT of different videos on youtube. The MOST important part is to "dig down NOT build up to make the ground level".

Yes, we actually found a contractor that is going to help us dig out and level the area. He was recommended and has done pools before so I’m hopefully he’ll do a good job. If I can get the space level and the patio blocks under the uprights, that’ll give me a good starting place for a warm day to get the wall and liner up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup, foam cove. I’m shooting for easy haha. The pad is armor shield from the pool factory. One piece, precut, should be pretty easy.
That’s a great idea about the weed killer. We get some nasty weeds in our yard.

Do your plant and bug treatments early, not right before the pool goes in. Give yourself time to see if any resurface, so you can treat again.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I third, fourth or fifth the motion to start early. You want any possible shifting around to happen well before that pool goes up!

Reactions: TheBigDipper
Give Termidor a look see. I think that's the brand. My bug guy uses it, but only so often, because they can get resistant to it. When I first moved in, I had a major ant problem. This guy sprayed (he found nine ant colonies in my yard!!) and put out traps. The little buggers carried it back to their colonies and they all died! I made fast friends with the neighbors because we killed all the ants for several houses in all directions.

Anywho, the point was, get a guy. The "right stuff" is only sold to and can only be used by licensed pros. You can try and DIY, but you won't be able to get the good juice.

I had my site leveled in September. It's still sitting empty. When I get some nice days, I'll probably go out n start leveling the pavers for an end of April install. I'm going cheap on this above ground install because I'm planning an inground in the fall/spring 2022.

Reactions: TheBigDipper
I had my site leveled in September. It's still sitting empty. When I get some nice days, I'll probably go out n start leveling the pavers for an end of April install. I'm going cheap on this above ground install because I'm planning an inground in the fall/spring 2022.
Ooh, new pool(s)! Exciting! 😁

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.