Dual speed vs. variable speed motor?

Well, you can change the impeller for $80 and then do the $399, according to the notes.

This is the part (pun intended) that's unclear to me.

If I were to get the 1.65hp VS motor, and the appropriate impeller for that motor, wouldn't I need the 1.5hp pump challenger front housing? Or could I use the original Challenger 2hp pump front housing currently in place?

Apologies if these are basic questions. The help is much appreciated.

If you were to get the 1.65 hp VS motor, you would get the 1.5 hp impeller and 1.5 hp diffuser and mount in your pump housing. The houseing fits many different impellers. So yes use your current housing. The 1.65 hp VS motor you are looking at is rated a 1.65 total horse power so it would be a good fit. Whoever you buy the motor from make sure they sell you the one that will match your challenger pump.

Reactions: caliking
This is the part (pun intended) that's unclear to me.

If I were to get the 1.65hp VS motor, and the appropriate impeller for that motor, wouldn't I need the 1.5hp pump challenger front housing? Or could I use the original Challenger 2hp pump front housing currently in place?

Apologies if these are basic questions. The help is much appreciated.
I was reading the comments on the 1.65 HP motor page at inyopool. If the 2.7 fits, sure thing, then that would be easiest. 2.7 IS overkill, but lots of people have oversized VS pumps. You just run it at a low speed. Might be "cheaper" to go with the 1.65, but less hassle to go with the 2.7.

take the $230 savings + hassel from the 1.65 buy the smaller impeller and diffuser. Use the remainder to take the family to a ball game. That is if we ever get to go to another one.

I was reading the comments on the 1.65 HP motor page at inyopool. If the 2.7 fits, sure thing, then that would be easiest. 2.7 IS overkill, but lots of people have oversized VS pumps. You just run it at a low speed. Might be "cheaper" to go with the 1.65, but less hassle to go with the 2.7.

I'm okay with swapping out the impeller and diffuser, if the 1.65hp is a viable option. Just not feeling the love right now re: dealing with the plumbing on the inlet side. The previous owners/pool builders didn't leave much room for, or install unions, to help with swapping the pump out.

To make sure that I understand this correctly... I can leave the current Challenger CHII-N1-2A 2HP pump housing in place, put in a 1.5HP impeller + diffuser, and run it with the V-green 165?

I'll crunch the numbers, see what the difference is, and proceed accordingly.

ok... I've been researching 1.5hp impellers and diffusers for the past day or so, and have it narrowed down to two, but not sure about which one would I need to buy.

Pump= Pentair Challenger CHII-N1-2A
Motor= Century V-green 1.65hp VS

Impeller= 355369 or 355315?
Diffuser= 355188 or 355270?

I tried calling Pentair directly, but the gentleman couldn't figure out what I was asking.

It still seems to me that buying a motor, impeller, diffuser, seal, gaskets etc. and doing the rebuild will be more time and money than buying a Superflo VS or other such pump.

A new pump will probably have a manufacturer rebate and a local rebate.

Also, sometimes when you rebuild an old pump, you can find out that it's not going to work and you lose the investment in everything you bought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did I mention there is a VS pump on Amazon for $409?

Some People have trouble with the manual....

Or a Pentair for $699

The motor gets the rebate not the pump. Electrical rebates are based on watts not flow. My REC did not care about the pump only my motor when they asked for my motors documentation. Then they sent me a rebate.

Motors cost the same whether you get a pump attached to it or not. Challenger pumps are very cheap to rebuild and used impellers +diffusers are very cheap.

It still seems to me that buying a motor, impeller, diffuser, seal, gaskets etc. and doing the rebuild will be more time and money than buying a Superflo VS or other such pump.

A new pump will probably have a manufacturer rebate and a local rebate.

Also, sometimes when you rebuild an old pump, you can find out that it's not going to work and you lose the investment in everything you bought.

Thanks for confirming the correct imppeller and diffuser. And, good points. The V-green 165 VS motor + impeller 355369 + diffuser 355188 + seal kit will run about $500 +tax ("free" shipping). If that's all I need, I'll chance it.

I'd spring for an Intelliflo, if the inlet side plumbing didn't look like a PITA. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space (in terms of pipe) to plumb a new pump. But I'm all ears if someone can suggest a way to do it.
1600389169398.png

I added unions when I rebuilt the pump a few years ago, so the outlet side would be much simpler.
1600389239469.png

If I bought your house today, I'd re- plumb your inlet side with a union like you did on the return, with the union closest to the pump inlet, by digging a bit, and moving that T a little further from the pump. Then you could use whatever pump / motor combo you want, and any future servicing would be a breeze. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that also depends on how far those return lines go straight down before going horizontal.

If I bought your house today, I'd re- plumb your inlet side with a union like you did on the return, with the union closest to the pump inlet, by digging a bit, and moving that T a little further from the pump. Then you could use whatever pump / motor combo you want, and any future servicing would be a breeze. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that also depends on how far those return lines go straight down before going horizontal.
I don't disagree, but that will escalate the project more than 2x (at least) in terms of time, effort, and cost.

And I know that the easier option is not necessarily the smarter option :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.