Dual speed vs. variable speed motor?

You could probably take the pump apart and unscrew the housing from the threaded fitting.

Alternatively, you can cut the housing by cutting down and around the threaded fitting (like a U shape) and then unscrew the part from the threaded nipple.

You could probably take the pump apart and unscrew the housing from the threaded fitting.

Alternatively, you can cut the housing by cutting down and around the threaded fitting (like a U shape) and then unscrew the part from the threaded nipple.

Hmmmmm... I'm tempted to look into the Superflo VS. Almost a drop-in replacement for the Challenger currently in place. The inlet is 2"+ lower than the Challenger's. Guess I could raise the pump up on a 2' square paver.

The pot strainer on the Challenger is the only original part of it left (and the seal plate), so likely that would be the next part to fail. Makes dealing with the inlet side plumbing worth considering at least.

Reactions: JamesW
I doubt that it will fail. Mine is over 20 years old. Left outside in full sun for the entire year. Looks can be deceiving.

Installed the new VS motor yesterday, and am already enjoying how much quieter it is. Even when running at top speed.
3CA42437-7C79-4687-8B1E-DC1B4B07D8B1.jpeg
Thanks again for all the advice. Now I need to figure out the optimal settings, so back to searching the forum :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Reactions: mknauss
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: caliking
Note that water can get into the electrical compartment through the screw that holds the compartment cover on. Be sure to address that.

Note that the electrical compartment is susceptible to water intrusion.

I'm not sure how the water gets in, but I suspect that it gets in at the top screw that holds the compartment cover on.

Maybe put a piece of waterproof tape over the screw to prevent water from getting to the screw.

20190519_125838-jpg.102503

Note that water can get into the electrical compartment through the screw that holds the compartment cover on. Be sure to address that.

Note that the electrical compartment is susceptible to water intrusion.

I'm not sure how the water gets in, but I suspect that it gets in at the top screw that holds the compartment cover on.

Maybe put a piece of waterproof tape over the screw to prevent water from getting to the screw.

Thanks for the heads-up. I put an o-ring on that screw, and will also place tape over it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.