Dual main drains, dual side wall drains, one skimmer and one three-way diversion valve to control them all; what is the goal of this setup?

Sep 9, 2020
Phoenix
My pool was put in a year before I bought the house 15 years ago, and I have been pretty trouble free for the most part, but I never understood the suction setup on the pool. It has:

1. Dual main drain, over 3ft distance between (almost impossible to see in pic)
2. Dual side wall drain, over 3ft distance between (yes, I need a new cover!)
3. One skimmer. (see pic for all of the above)
4. One three-way valve to adjust suction between all these (see other pic).

Obviously the valve is trading off the suction on these three (I need to do a quick test to see which is which, since it was written in marker years ago and has long faded, though I know to the left is "skimmer"), but I am not familiar enough to know why you would put the diverter in any given position. Is this a common setup, and can anyone explain why I might be moving the suction between these three? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200909_145007.jpg
    20200909_145007.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200909_145031.jpg
    20200909_145031.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 43
Welcome to the forum!
The drains on the floor and the wall are tied together in pairs. The floor ones together and the wall ones together. They must do that to meet the Virginia Graeme Baker Act requirements for anti-entrapment.

Do you have any kind of water feature? Typically wall suction ports are for a water feature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Wayne,

The most logic thought would be the valve you show selects between the main drain and the skimmer.. The wall ports should go to a separate waterfall or water feature pump..

Show us a pic of the entire equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info! It turns out that I DO have a water feature that is a whole extra pump next to the pool pump that pumps water up to a trough on top of the wall around the pool, like a little river. I wonder how changing the diverter would affect all these?

Wayne,

The most logic thought would be the valve you show selects between the main drain and the skimmer.. The wall ports should go to a separate waterfall or water feature pump..

Show us a pic of the entire equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here is the whole pad; pool pump, water feature pump (you were right about that), and two diverters.

Attachments

• 20200909_154328.jpg
    20200909_154328.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 29
Wayne,

The valve, in front of the pump with the filter, should select between skimmer and main drain.

The other pump just sucks water from the wall ports and I "assume" the valve on the left of your equipment pad, is on the pumps return side, and sends to water to two difference water features or ??? Your guess is as good a mine,, Shut off one pipe at a time, and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wayne,

The valve, in front of the pump with the filter, should select between skimmer and main drain.

The other pump just sucks water from the wall ports and I "assume" the valve on the left of your equipment pad, is on the pumps return side, and sends to water to two difference water features or ??? Your guess is as good a mine,, Shut off one pipe at a time, and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

That makes sense. I'll check them one at a time and see what's up.

Thanks!

Wayne

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.