Drain cap of brand new Hayward S244T sand filter leaking

VDH

Jun 6, 2022
Montréal,Canada
I just bought and installed a Hayward S244T sand filter and noticed after a few days of operation that is water accumulating around the filter support stand and under the filter. It turns out that water is leaking from the drain cap. No matter how tight the cap is, water continues to leak. There is an orange/red gasket inside the cap but it does not seem to do it’s work properly. Do I need to add silicone in there? The thread is not continuous so Teflon tape will be useless. Is this a design flaw?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's see if @1poolman1 has some experience with this one. Hang tight.

Since this is a new filter and should be under warranty, also see previous discussion.

I replaced mine (same model) a couple of years ago and it dripped a little at first and I had it tightened pretty well. In a few days it stopped. Mine maybe had a drip every 5 minutes or so. I also fiddled when it was first filled, it leaked worse then. Nothing obvious causing it and just made it tighter.

I don't think it should have be tightened as much as it needs and it should have a standard/common thread too.

How long as it been installed and how bad it is leaking?

Hello Bill1974,
Thanks for your reply.
I’ve installed the filter about 5 days ago and noticed the leak one day ago. It drips about every 15 seconds. It is not that much but still I do not think this is normal for a brand new unit. Is putting some silicon a good idea or it will just mess up the cap?

I would be hesitant on putting silicon on it. I assume in Canada you will be draining it in the off season, it would make removing the plug a challenge. Try calling Hayward to get a replacement cap and see if that works. Might also be able to stack the gaskets and get it to seal too.

If I recall it seals on a flat face on the tank and a flat piece of rubber in the cap. Not the most robust sealing method. I don't recall if the screen to prevent the sand from coming out is put in from the inside or outside of the tank. If it was from the inside, might be able to fit a tapered rubber plug in port and use the cap to hold it in.

And to replace a tank is no fun, digging out 300 lbs of wet sand gets old after about 20 lbs.

Hello Bill1974,
Thanks for your reply.
I’ve installed the filter about 5 days ago and noticed the leak one day ago. It drips about every 15 seconds. It is not that much but still I do not think this is normal for a brand new unit. Is putting some silicon a good idea or it will just mess up the cap?
I figured out the problem. When you are removing the drain cap, some granules of sand get inside the cap but in between the rubber insert(like a round rubber spacer) that is in the top of the cap. You need to remove that rubber insert with a knife (or something thin), rinse out the cap and the rubber, then reinsert it into the top of the cap and screw the cap back on and voila no more leaks. No Teflon tape or silicon needed.

That has been an issue on every one of those filters I have ever installed (probably close to 100), the cap is loose from the factory and if I forget to tighten it before adding sand, the "fines" will get through the screen and cause a leak. Every time. Frustrating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.