Don’t know where to start for pool renovation in Phoenix Arizona.

NOVICE

Aug 23, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
My husband was in the hospital for more than a year and has lost vision due to a drug toxicity. He managed the pool and loved gardening.He is just recovering. My son tried to take care of the pool and made a big mess. The pump and pool pebbletec surface is about 20 years.
I am not sure how to go about finding the right contractors. Is there a list of companies I could get a quote.
Need help making a decision about the equipment I need.
Average cost for resurfacing a 15000 gallon pool and buying all new equipment.
Any idea that would help my husband with his vision issues. Special lights or type of surface for the pool I should choose. He can see some contrast. Maybe need some different tiles along the steps. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

@NOVICE
When considering your pool remodel, I would certainly give CDC Pool's Inc. a chance to gain your business.
I used them for my pool renovation. If I ever need that service again, they would be my first and only call.
PebbleTec, Tile, everything came out very nice and they were respectful of my backyard and did a great job during cleanup.
r.
Edit. Sounds as if your not a DIY'er when it comes to the equipment, so they actually do it all. Resurfacing, Decking, Equipment etc. And they use Pentair equipment which I just happen to be partial to.
They also have a showroom at the Chandler Airport.
2021-01-31_17-03-24.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: scottts and Nikilyn
Only have time for a quick response just now. Consider a handrail on the steps. Maybe a water feature (falls or a fountain or laminar) to help your husband orient while in the pool (using the splashing sound).

And welcome to TFP. We'll help you before, during and after your upgrade. Taking care of a pool using TFP methods is super easy. You or your son can learn it, no sweat. We got you.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I'd also recommend CDC. We almost went with them but changed our mind on what finish we are getting. @clambert1273 is using them for her pool redo.
You should add step tile. A white plaster with a dark step tile would be good for contrast.
I would say to plaster a pool that size would be about $3500 for their quartz or $4500 for their pebble. That doesn't include chip out. It's just based on my bid from them.

Reactions: clambert1273
@NOVICE
When considering your pool remodel, I would certainly give CDC Pool's Inc. a chance to gain your business.
I used them for my pool renovation. If I ever need that service again, they would be my first and only call.
PebbleTec, Tile, everything came out very nice and they were respectful of my backyard and did a great job during cleanup.
r.
Edit. Sounds as if your not a DIY'er when it comes to the equipment, so they actually do it all. Resurfacing, Decking, Equipment etc. And they use Pentair equipment which I just happen to be partial to.
View attachment 174430
@NOVICE
r.
View attachment 174430
Only have time for a quick response just now. Consider a handrail on the steps. Maybe a water feature (falls or a fountain or laminar) to help your husband orient while in the pool (using the splashing sound).

And welcome to TFP. We'll help you before, during and after your upgrade. Taking care of a pool using TFP methods is super easy. You or your son can learn it, no sweat. We got you.
Thanks for the handrail tip. Did not cross my mind. We do have a waterfall feature at one end of the pool.

Reactions: Dirk
@NOVICE
r.
View attachment 174430
I will surely give them a call. I read someone mention about Prado and sons. Any idea about them. How many quotes should I get. Thanks

I'd also recommend CDC. We almost went with them but changed our mind on what finish we are getting. @clambert1273 is using them for her pool redo.
You should add step tile. A white plaster with a dark step tile would be good for contrast.
I would say to plaster a pool that size would be about $3500 for their quartz or $4500 for their pebble. That doesn't include chip out. It's just based on my bid from them.
What finish are you getting? I was thinking of pebble tec as my husband will be able to feel it. Another option I need to look into.
Which company did you go with.

We are getting Stonescapes micro pebble thru the company doing our tile, RVCA. We were going to get the quartz thru CDC because it's the smoothness I wanted. CDC has a mini pebble but I don't like mini pebble. I wanted something smoother. I loved the color of their pebble though and I thought their prices were good. I found out they have a micro pebble but he wouldn't even give me a quote on it. Our tile company came out and showed us samples of the micro pebble. It had the color I wanted plus the tiny pebble so it should be smoother so we decided to go with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are getting Stonescapes micro pebble thru the company doing our tile, RVCA. We were going to get the quartz thru CDC because it's the smoothness I wanted. CDC has a mini pebble but I don't like mini pebble. I wanted something smoother. I loved the color of their pebble though and I thought their prices were good. I found out they have a micro pebble but he wouldn't even give me a quote on it. Our tile company came out and showed us samples of the micro pebble. It had the color I wanted plus the tiny pebble so it should be smoother so we decided to go with them.
Do you think I should go with a rougher finish so my husband can get a better grip.

OK, just brainstorming. I'm a sighted person, so I don't have any experience trying to get around in a pool without being able to see well. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks that do. I can't point you to the correct agency, but there must be some available guidelines and design ideas to make a swimming pool more friendly to the sight-impaired. Maybe start with the ADA and see if they can point you in the right direction.

There may be architects or even pool designers that specialize. You may not need to reinvent the wheel here. Surely there are many people with similar challenges that have been met by folks that know what to do.

Perhaps there is something to do with the coping, or the edge tiles. Setting in "markers" of some sort, at logical intervals, that feel subtly different than the surrounding material. A way to feel his way along: "OK, I'm eight feet from the steps... now I'm four feet..." Something of that sort. If you expect he'll retain some vision, then maybe using color. Every so many feet a contrasting edge tile. Or maybe near the steps the tile colors alternate every other tile, to let him know he's arrived at the steps. Things of that nature. Here's a page:

Steps have marker tiles, so they can be seen clearly. They are set in the plaster/pebble. There's no reason marker tiles can't be set in the bottom, too. You could use them to establish a swim lane. Adjust the pattern when getting close to the end of the swim lane. Or there could be a set of tiles that lead to the stairs.

Last edited:
I was just staring at the pic of your pad. Yikes, that's quite a jungle. Is that an in-floor cleaning system? Does the bottom of your pool have popup fixtures that spray current around the bottom? In-floor cleaning systems are pretty old-school. Some can work OK, a lot don't work that great. Does yours work well? And will your husband be tripping over the popups? Stubbing his toes?

When I had my pool refinished, I had them remove the drains. I'm wondering if the same could be done for the cleaning system. No stubbed toes. No complicated plumbing to worry about. Replace the system with a robot cleaner, which you could remove from the pool when not in use. Safer for him, and a whole lot better at cleaning...

I was just staring at the pic of your pad. Yikes, that's quite a jungle. Is that an in-floor cleaning system? Does the bottom of your pool have popup fixtures that spray current around the bottom? In-floor cleaning systems are pretty old-school. Some can work OK, a lot don't work that great. Does yours work well? And will your husband be tripping over the popups? Stubbing his toes?

When I had my pool refinished, I had them remove the drains. I'm wondering if the same could be done for the cleaning system. No stubbed toes. No complicated plumbing to worry about. Replace the system with a robot cleaner, which you could remove from the pool when not in use. Safer for him, and a whole lot better at cleaning...
Yes. We do have the in floor cleaning system and we had a pool vaccuum too. The mess is my son doing the backwash repeatedly and did not know exactly what he was doing.
My husband was a strong swimmer and usually swam from one end of the pool to the other in one go. Not sure now. He was on an ECMO machine as he was bleeding from his lungs. We are so lucky he survived. Would having both help just in case the robot does not work

Based on my current experience for reno, I ended up getting 8 estimates total... you have no shortage of places that will come estimate... now a warning on that they have a wide range of costs and I threw pretty much the kitchen sink at them all for plaster, retiling, new equipment, new equip pad etc...

before getting estimates, make a list of what you want done. I handed each one my list to use as they came to estimate that way they all had the same info and any time I updated it I let them know by the time I got toward making a decision my list changed and got narrowed down

Reactions: Dirk and MyAZPool
Would having both help just in case the robot does not work
I've never used an in-floor system. I've just read about them here. Enough to know I wouldn't want one. They have a crazy amount of plumbing, so much to go wrong. Most of that plumbing is under the pool, where there is no chance of fixing it. The principal behind the cleaning makes little sense to me, blowing at stuff until it finds its way into the drain or the skimmer? And the amount of pumping needed, and electricity needed, seems very energy inefficient.

If your system still works, and cleans your pool really well, then that would be a decent reason to keep it working. Will the popup fixtures present a problem to your husband? A robot doesn't even use the main pump. It runs around and vacuums and brushes, too. It cleans your walls and even the edge tile! (Something an in-floor system can't even pretend to do.)

Yes, you could retain the in-floor system in case you want to go back to it for some reason. But then it's still there, and the opportunity to get rid of it will be gone, and the potential for it to fail would still exist. It's a tough call. I guess it would come down to how well it worked for you, if it ever did.

Oh, another plus for a robot: it collects its gunk on-board and doesn't send it to your filter. So the filter cleaning chore would be far less often. Personally, I have a suction-side cleaner and only need to clean my filter once a year. I would not like to clean out the little tray in the robot all the time, but from the sound of it, cleaning out the tray would be a significantly simpler chore for your son than what he's having to do now. Heck, it might even be something your husband could manage eventually, or at least help your son with, and give him a way to stay involved in maintaining the pool, which could maybe be a form a therapy for him? Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn there...

Can't help more than everyone has so far with equipment and specs, but I will make a simple suggestion to help your husband navigate the backyard without his sight. And that is to run wire for speakers through the yard that are spread out. Like the water feature he will be able to hear the speaker and orient his location based on them throughout the backyard. My father in-law is completely blind and uses this to help him find his away around the yard.

Do I need to place a foundation before putting the new equipment. Should I get a separate quote.
A generous slab of concrete on which to set your equipment is nice to have. This work would need to be coordinated with the equipment upgrade, as the equipment would have to be removed for a while to allow the concrete work and drying time, but a minimum of time because the pump will not be available to circulate the pool. So it'll be tricky.

If you go for it, be sure they don't encase the pipes running into the ground in concrete. Those should remain in the dirt only. Sometimes you need to dig those up for repair, and if they're in the middle of a big slab of concrete, no can do.

Prado and sons came over. Said the price of pebble tec is same as pebble sheen. I plan to keep the tiles around the pool and spa which is lined with small tiles. Initially thought a blue surf would match the royal blue tiles but now not sure if I need to go with a lighter shade so the bottom would be clearly visible. The contrast of the row of tiles on the steps would be seen clearly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.