Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Our pool build starts April 3rd. I am researching robotic cleaners and have come to the conclusion that the S200, Triton, and the Active 20 are favorites. Can someone fill me in on the differences, pros and cons and which one they recommend? also a promo code for marina would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The S200, Active20, Doheny's Discovery and Triton are exactly the same except they are different colors. So, the preference is whichever is cheapest at the time. No promo code is needed for Marina, just call Margaret and she will tell you which one is cheapest and in stock today.

Can someone post best contact info for Margaret? I'm considering making the switch from Polaris to robot as well.

Also, when making this switch, what have you guys done with the return that was previously used for Polaris? Anything other than just leaving as a return? I also have a dedicated pump for the Polaris....not sure what to do with that....

Sold the vacuum, recycled the pump (no one would take it) and kept the plumbing as a return, just like it was before the removal.

Spoke with Margaret on Friday. Great resource. I'm trying to decide between the 20 and 30. Probably going to get the 30 because I think I'll pull it out of the water in winter months and the difference in cost is same as a caddy. Now just need to decide if I want 30 or 300 based on color scheme...having a family vote...lol.

Ordered yesterday, went with the 300. Margaret made the modification to the baskets at no charge and the 300 was $849...no tax, no shipping. Also bought a 200 for my Mom for Mother's Day....got a 200 for her for $699.

Margaret was a great resource and those prices were substantially better than a limited search I did. Can't wait for them to show up!

Reactions: Sunnymosmile
Ordered yesterday, went with the 300. Margaret made the modification to the baskets at no charge and the 300 was $849...no tax, no shipping. Also bought a 200 for my Mom for Mother's Day....got a 200 for her for $699.

Margaret was a great resource and those prices were substantially better than a limited search I did. Can't wait for them to show up!

What is the modification to the basket you speak of? I am needing to pull the trigger on a robot soon and plan to go with one of these models and most likely order is with Margaret as well unless I find a better deal local which is doubtful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just ordered my second Discovery because my motor went out in my first one and it was going to cost too much to repair. I'm mostly to blame because I pretty much let it run every day for over a year and only took it out of the water when we were swimming.

I know this is a noob question but what's the best way to care for one of these? Is it best to just let it run every few days during the summer and take it out of the water when not in use? Then run it once or so a week during the winter (I have a huge water oak in my back yard so I get lot's of leaves in the pool during fall/winter). I feel like I got my money's worth out of my first one even though it only lasted a little over a year but I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

I just ordered my second Discovery because my motor went out in my first one and it was going to cost too much to repair. I'm mostly to blame because I pretty much let it run every day for over a year and only took it out of the water when we were swimming.

I know this is a noob question but what's the best way to care for one of these? Is it best to just let it run every few days during the summer and take it out of the water when not in use? Then run it once or so a week during the winter (I have a huge water oak in my back yard so I get lot's of leaves in the pool during fall/winter). I feel like I got my money's worth out of my first one even though it only lasted a little over a year but I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

Was it not under warranty after just over a year?

What is the modification to the basket you speak of? I am needing to pull the trigger on a robot soon and plan to go with one of these models and most likely order is with Margaret as well unless I find a better deal local which is doubtful.

Honestly I told her that on TFP everyone talks about a basket modification. She laughed, knew exactly what I was talking about, and offered to do it at no charge. I couldn't even tell you the specifics. I'm just trusting fellow TFP'ers.

Reactions: jarcher89
The mod is to take out the four rough filters and replace them with a four-sided bottomless rough insert. That way you can use both the rough insert and the fine pleated filters at the same time for a great combo.

I’d like to hear also the best way to handle these robots for the long haul. Pull them or after each run or leave in? Knowing me I’d leave in for a clean and remove it, give the pool a once over clean every 3-4 days.

Wanted to convey my positive experience with Margaret @ Marina Pool Spas. $699 shipped. She talked me out of the S300 and said to buy the S200 for my needs. The first unit was DOA on arrival. Called her and she had a new one shipped out the next day and sent me a prepaid shipping label for the return. Dropped the 2nd unit in the pool yesterday and was amazed how much fine sediment was picked up. Almost like mud in the basket. Had been using the Pentair Kreepy Krauly for the last 3 years but was tired of it getting stuck in the corner and watching the PG&E meter spin when the pumped kicked on.

Attachments

• _JAL9681.JPG
    _JAL9681.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Leik
Hello folks,
After reading much of this thread, we’re pulling the trigger on an s300i tomorrow. We’ve been trying to brainstorm the best way to store the control box. There is no protected area near our pool equipment, which is also where the electrical outlet is. We think we’ll leave the bot in the pool most of the swim season, pulling it out weekly (or as needed) for cleaning. The caddy will be nice for the winter, keeping everything together in the shed. But we need to protect the control box while in use. What kind of handy things have you all rigged for this purpose? We want it off the ground and protected from sun and rain. ? Thanks for any ideas!

Will & Lori

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.