Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

mknauss

Mod Squad
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Call Marina in Denver on the part for the Active 20. Remember as a TFP supporter you are eligible for a discount on parts from Marina.

When I have lots of leaves I scoop them first then run my Active20 to clean up the small stuff. So have not had the issues you are having.

blueman2

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
SF Bay Area
Right now, I run my robot without the non-return flap installed and it picks up leaves GREAT. Even when the floor is covered with leaves, the robot picks them up. I just have to stop it after 30 minutes as the basket will already be full, then run it again. Only downside is that when I pull the robot out of the water, a good bit of leaves and junk flow back into the pool since the return flap is gone. I ordered a new non-return flap and plan to hack the old one a bit to see if I can solve the leaf clogging issue while maintaining the ability to not have stuff fall out of the robot when pulling it out of the pool. I will report back if I can get anything that works well for me.

BTW, I ordered the non-return flap online from Marina, but the system would not accept the discount code for FTP supporters. Since the price was so low, I did not bother calling. But I guess in the future I have to call in order to get the discount code applied? For anyone interested, Marina was BY FAR the lowest cost supplier of this part. Half what the next best source priced it. I did a price check on some other items as well and found Marina to always be the low price winner. So even without the supporter discount, Marina will be my go-to provider of parts for my robot.

blueman2

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
SF Bay Area
Success! I was able to modify the non-return flap in my Active 20 to allow leaves to enter without clogging, yet still reduce backflow of debris out of the robot when removing from water. The non-return flap at the bottom has 2 metal bars in it. They ensure that when the robot stops, the flap drops and prevents backflow of debris. I removed one of the 2 metal bars by cutting a small hole in the flap and sliding the bar out.
1.jpg
As you can see below, this allows a much larger opening for leaves and larger debris.
2.jpg

And the flap still will drop and effectively prevent backflow of leaves when the robot is turned off.
3.jpg

I tried this and it worked well. It did not clog even with larger leaves, and there was no backflow of debris when I removed the robot from the pool. I am going to keep this modified non-return flap in place for the rest of the leaf season, then use an unmodified flap for the normal season. The flap was less than $5 from Marina, so a cheap solution.