Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Re: Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I could detangle the cord between every use. And I need to detangle it after a week. There are pics in post 218 of this thread of my tangled up cord.

I am biting the bullet and going with the Discovery. I figure the extra year of warranty is worth the $200 price difference over the Saturn, and any better job is does cleaning the water line is a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm helping on a pool with a Maytronics robot, and wondering about the cord tangling. It needs untangling every time. I noticed in the manual that you're supposed to lay the cord out in the sun for a few hours with no "twist" tension before using the robot in the pool. The owner didn't lay it out straight in the sun before using the robot, so I'm wondering if that would have helped?

As far as the promised precise pattern, it seems to me that the circulation in the pool pushes the robot off it's long straight runs, and/or causes it to run a curved path if the cord gets pushed by the water movement. I checked and it's not stealing any airline bottles of Crown from my test kit. It does a good job either way, but leaves me curious.

I'm getting about 3 to 4 cycles of my cleaner, before I decide to unplug and straighten the cord. As far as pattern goes.. I've stared it for a long time and It seems like it always drives past every large leaf in the pool. Then I get tired of watching and I come back later and all the leaves are gone. I guess my robot has performance anxiety...

If you find that you are always unwinding the cord in the same direction, you can pre-wind the cord in the same direction and get a few more runs out of it.

Since the "S" models are available in so many colors based on who the vendor is, I'll probably customize mine when the time comes for replacement parts. I was thinking the blue tracks would look cool from the Active 30i. We could start a whole new hobby of customized pool robots. Maybe take one into war on the Battle Bots show! Alright.... I've gone too far.

So I'll be opening my pool in two weeks. I'm not reinstalling my cleaner's booster pump which was cut out in the fall. I'm expecting that the Discovery will again go on sale for $650 this year as it's another year older and it was at that price a few times last year. However, I want a robot at my command when I open. So after reviewing the Discovery twins, I am rolling the dice and getting a refurbished Dolphin/Maytronics Active 20 from Poolpartz.com for $499. It comes with a 1-year warranty serviced by Maytronics directly only. So I'm saving between $150 and $300 with a few strings attached. Shorter warranty, not local service, and the potential that a refurb. will be more troublesome than a new model. I'll update as the year progresses on my how things go for one particular refurbished specimen. I'm not sure why the Active 20 refurb. was priced better relatively speaking than the Active 30/S200/s300's refurbs. they had (I may find out soon!) Used Hayward booster pump and Hayward Kreepy Krauly Legend for sale!

Active 20.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So I'll be opening my pool in two weeks. I'm not reinstalling my cleaner's booster pump which was cut out in the fall. I'm expecting that the Discovery will again go on sale for $650 this year as it's another year older and it was at that price a few times last year. However, I want a robot at my command when I open. So after reviewing the Discovery twins, I am rolling the dice and getting a refurbished Dolphin/Maytronics Active 20 from Poolpartz.com for $499. It comes with a 1-year warranty serviced by Maytronics directly only. So I'm saving between $150 and $300 with a few strings attached. Shorter warranty, not local service, and the potential that a refurb. will be more troublesome than a new model. I'll update as the year progresses on my how things go for one particular refurbished specimen. I'm not sure why the Active 20 refurb. was priced better relatively speaking than the Active 30/S200/s300's refurbs. they had (I may find out soon!) Used Hayward booster pump and Hayward Kreepy Krauly Legend for sale!

View attachment 58568

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have also been waiting for the Discovery to go on sale, but decided to jump on this instead. Ive never been one to purchase anything refurbised so Im a little nervous, hopefully it works out ok for us both!

would be curious to know exactly which models are the same as the Discovery. I would like to find the best color/price combo on this type of cleaner to replace my ancient Polaris 280 Black Max (Fred)

Maytronics S200 and Dolphin Triton are the same as the discovery.

There are 3 models
S100 which has 1 brush
S200 which has 2 brushes
S300 which adds blue tooth and some programming options

All others are some version of above.

There are 3 models
S100 which has 1 brush
S200 which has 2 brushes
S300 which adds blue tooth and some programming options

All others are some version of above.

The Dolphin Active 20 is the same as the s200 and discovery also.

It appears that the following are also the same:

Pentair Prowler 920
Dolphin Cayman
Dolphin Active 20

Again, I'm interested in the best price/warranty/color combo of all of these. They have the features and price-point I'm looking for. Seems with the price hike (and sales tax for TX residents) the Doheny Discovery may no longer be the best pick of the bunch :-(

The Dolphin Nautilus seems to be consistently cheaper than the others, but interestingly has horrible reviews on Amazon??

It's the Dolphin Nautilus PLUS from 2017 on that is the twin. Not the Nautilus. Nautilus (with no Plus) 2017 on is a different and cheaper model.

Ugh, I keep mixing up the Nautilus Plus. That one is NOT the same as the S200 twins. It contains two separate debris chambers not the single basket. Otherwise all is very similar.

Aside from the obvious at the end of swim season, is there another time I might could expect these robots to go on sale? We're still in our 30 day break-in period on the plaster, but I can already tell I'm going to want to pick up one of these little helpers as soon as possible. It sounds like the Discovery is highly rated, but I'd be sick if it went on sale for $650 a few days after paying $800 for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.