Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Re: Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have a Dohenys Discovery. Named him Nate after a moron I work with at work. Nate does a far better job in my pool than at work. I often push the button just to watch him go again. I do not see the need for any "remote control " type features as Nate does a great job without me worrying about trying to control him.

O.K. bit the bullet and ordered a Dolphin s300 . I didnt feel the s300i was that much of a step up .........just an extra cleaning time option from what I can figure from TFP (and from what the pool partz owner said) .
So, ordered the s300 from Pool Partz . Its a refurbished unit for $799. including shipping and everything . Person I spoke with says they come directly from Mayfair all refurbished and appear to be in brand new condition anyway . Warranty is 1 year .

Will report back on out of the box condition when it arrives . Supposed to ship out on Monday.
Wont be able to use it for a few weeks as we are getting a new liner installed now !

OH, and thanks for all the help all !

I have a Dohenys Discovery. Named him Nate after a moron I work with at work. Nate does a far better job in my pool than at work. I often push the button just to watch him go again. I do not see the need for any "remote control " type features as Nate does a great job without me worrying about trying to control him.

LOL!! Why are you insulting your robot like that? :mrgreen:

Guess who Earl had to clean up after this weekend!
70c5693dcd852f7d473952df9c431c6f.jpg

I have no operational pump since opening so I'm maintaining with Earl, my autocover pump that I sit on a step, and a leaf net to skim. Water is not crystal clear but I'm managing. Autocover is closed most of the time which helps immensely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My Active 20 (S200) cord twists but it is a non-issue because I remove and store it after each use. No effect on performance and it straightens out when I loosely coil up the cord each time.

Who did? :) There is some discussion about cord tangle and a pic of the cord tangled in my pool thread, link in sig. I detangle the cord when I clean it. Which is at least daily when the trees are busy and weekly-ish when they're not.

Hope you all aren't steering me wrong. :)

I just ordered a Doheny Discovery today. My pool is small and simple so I'm sure it will be have no trouble doing what my suction-side cleaner handles. I mostly want the Discovery for the waterline cleaning feature that I can't get with my Hayward Nautilus. I fight those tiny little mesquite tree leaves all year long so time to bring a new weapon to the battle. Those little leaves stick to the tile at the waterline long before they have a chance to float into the skimmer. I brush the tile and 30 minutes later they are there again.

After I get familiar with the unit I'll be testing it on my other pool which is more of a challenge.

Here are some of my impressions of the Dolphin S200 after having it for a couple weeks.

* Refurb unit was a good deal. Looked just about new. It had one problem though. After the first run, it wouldn't work right. It would stop after 5 or 10 minutes. I worried maybe the refurbishing hadn't fixed its problems. I decided to take the cover off the impeller just to check that it wasn't clogged with debris. It turns out whoever last put it together in the factory didn't snap the vectoring jet nozzle into its clips properly and it was loose and blocking the water flow. Once I attached it correctly I had no more problems.

* 2 Hours run time isn't enough to fully cover my pool. It is irregular shaped and all curves. Maybe its program doesn't handle that well? After a 2 hour run I still see dirt and debris in spots it didn't get to. I sometimes need to run it twice if there is a lot of stuff on the bottom, and even then it can leave some. Running it daily seems to be the best plan. Over the course of a week it gets everything clean except for one big leaf that it never got. I finally gave up and got out my net :)

* I love the filter basket. It picks up fine sand and is easy to clean out. Much nicer than the velcro bags on my old Polaris sweep.

* I haven't had any problems with cord tangling yet.

* The tile line scrubbing doesn't work as well in my pool as it does in the youtube videos. Maybe because my tile line is curved? Right now it isn't a problem. We'll see how it does in the next month when the pine tree pollen starts leaving a florescent yellow line on the tile. That will leave a visible indicator of places on the tile line it has missed so I can really assess how well it is doing.

* It is quiet! Especially compared to the failing booster pump from my polaris. It also doesn't spray water all over the place from its tail.

* Low electricity usage compared to to the Polaris pump. I was shocked at how low my electricity usage was for April with the pool open half the month. This and the variable speed pump I installed last year are much more efficient.

All things considered, I am satisfied with its performance. With regular use, it is keeping the pool clean and saving me work.

Nice review! Yeah, I run daily in spring and fall with the trees dropping stuff. LOL!! Netting one leaf is asking a lot! Come on robot! :-D

Nice review! Yeah, I run daily in spring and fall with the trees dropping stuff. LOL!! Netting one leaf is asking a lot! Come on robot! :-D

That one leaf was my white whale. My Moby [removed as apparently it is a curse word?]. I hunted it with the robot for days without success. It burrowed deep into my soul, like a single irritating grain of sand that an oyster builds a pearl around. When I could take the mocking and defeat no longer, I lanced into the deep blue with my net and with one scoop salved my tortured psyche.

its a slow day at work... ;)

I was tempted to purchase a robot and keep seeing people say that a few have trouble getting stuck on the drains. Have you all had these issues? I'm nervous about buying a $700-$1000 robot just for it to get stuck on the drain. Need some sage advice for a newbie.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.