Does my pool need larger pipe?

new-pool-owner

Apr 6, 2019
California
It's a kidney shaped pool, and I calculated it's about 17,500 gallons. Right now it has 1.5" pipe throughout, all the way until it gets to the 2HP pump and DE4800 filter, both which are made for 2" pipe.

There is one main return and that is 25' from the pump. The skimmer is about 75' from the pump. I can't say for sure, because I inherited this pool, but I would guess there are 5 90 degree elbows from the skimmer to the pump, or 4 90 degree elbows and 2 45 degree elbows.

I don't know if the previous owner installed a larger pump because he needed it or perhaps he just didn't know what he was doing. If I was worried about wasted energy costs, would replacing the pipe with 2" allow me to move to a smaller HP pump? I am thinking it might now because the skimmer and returns are all sized to 1.5" creating a bottleneck.

As long as you keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump, you should be fine.

• Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
  • 1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
  • 2"..............63...............84 gpm
  • 2.5............90.............119 gpm
  • 3.0".........138.............184 gpm
If you don't need the flow, just keep the flow below 38 gpm.

You should switch to a variable speed pump and run as slowly as possible.

2hp seems like a lot, like James said switch to a VS pump. I replaced a 1.5HP super pump with a 1.65VS and now my filter pressure is 4 compared to 16 with the old pump. I did before and after electric bill comparison the best I can and it dropped a lot

a 1 hp single speed is enough. a 1.5 hp 2-speed may be your best bet in terms of saving energy and still having a very strong pump. That would be my choice.

A 1.5 hp vs would also be a good choice if you don't mind the up-front cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.