Does CYA protect poured liquid chlorine?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Cyanuric acid (CYA) aka stabilizer/conditioner helps to protect free chlorine from the sun's UV. The amount of CYA required varies by pool chlorination method (salt or non-salt) and the location. Here in TX, we're about to get some intense sun, so we rely on CYA quite a bit. Remember that regardless of the method of chlorination (salt generator, liquid, or automated dispensing), they all require CYA. Also see out FC/CYA Levels as a reference. Hope that help. More in the link below.

Hi @poolbel, welcome to the forum! I suggest you read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Others have given you the correct answer to your question, but the main thing to understand is that while chlorine is "consumed" in your water, the CYA is not. Aside from a very slow degradation, it remains in the water.

So the "stabilized tabs" you mentioned, add two things as they dissolve: Chlorine and CYA. The chlorine gets used up, but the CYA remains. That CYA will protect any future chlorine, including sodium hypo. But if you keep using more tabs -- more and more CYA builds up, which then requires ever increasing amounts of chlorine to properly sanitize your pool. (FC/CYA Levels). In other words, the tabs aren't a reasonable long-term solution, because they add a consumable and a non-consumable which will quickly become out of balance.

The key here, is -- get your CYA to a proper level, in range. Then, no pucks/tabs/granular shock -- only liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) or chlorine generated from a salt-water chlorine generator.

Reactions: newdude
In case this hasn't come up yet, how are you testing your water? If you're using test strips, get a proper test kit, and put those strips in a drawer. The TF-100 advertised here is good, as is the Taylor K-2006C. Also, what you may not read here, and what is counterintuitive to the wisdom dispensed here, you can lose CYA without any particular action on your part. I'm still a new kid on the block, but this is the third spring I've experienced with a pool here in Katy (just west of Houston). I try to keep CYA at 40--in the middle of the suggested range of 30-50, although I'm considering moving to 50 this year to see if that helps maintain chlorine levels longer. I try to keep the chlorine level at the top of the suggested range for my CYA level.

Each of the three winters I've had the pool, I've found that by spring the CYA has dropped. Last two years it had dropped to 20. This year only down to 30. If it's true that CYA never leaves and can only be diluted with fresh water, then our winters have been wetter than they seemed. I have some confidence in my ability to read the dot at the bottom of the CYA test tube, and any time I get a questionable result, I pour the solution back and try again, and if still off, I test again with a new batch of solution. If she's around, I'll ask my wife to check, when in doubt. I use liquid chlorine. Until recently I bought 12.5% at Leslie's, but they've kept bumping the price, so I've moved to Walmart 10% chlorine.

Oh, I never add stabilizer to the water. When the CYA has been low, I use trichlor tabs in a floater to chlorinate until the CYA is where I want it.

@magiteck Thats my current plan. The chlorine is obviously being consumed after about a day so i wanted to make sure that CYA was still protecting it. Seems like im adding liquid chlorine almost everyday now.
yup! A pool needs a constant supply of chlorine to counter the demand created by swimmers and sun and splash out. So, yes, this is the routine until September.. You will be adding more and more until the peak of the summer, then less and less until Winter. However you add it, by liquid chlorine or a salt water generator, you still have to add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This year only down to 30. If it's true that CYA never leaves and can only be diluted with fresh water, then our winters have been wetter than they seemed.
CYA does degrade on its own.. just slowly. About 2-10 ppm/mo in the summer depending on the amount of sun. In any case I usually check my CYA at the mid summer point and give it a booster shot. That get's me through the rest of the season. read this from the wiki:

Reactions: magiteck
@magiteck Thats my current plan. The chlorine is obviously being consumed after about a day so i wanted to make sure that CYA was still protecting it. Seems like im adding liquid chlorine almost everyday now.
Poolbel, just be aware that chlorine gets used daily. During the summer, your pool will burn anywhere from 2 - 4 ppm of FC, so you have to replace it. In Texas, you probably want to run your CYA at 50 or even 60 ppm. That will slow down the burn off of the FC a little bit. If you keep CYA at 30, you won't be able to keep up with the chlorine loss. Just follow the FC/CYA chart and dose your pool to the appropriate level based on your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.