Do builders typically prep a new pool

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
On a new pool, do most builders prep the pool for the first month. In prep, I mean daily brushing of plaster and getting the water stabilized? I could not picture my builder doing that but wondering if others did.

My PB partnered with a company that did the initial chemicals and a bit of a 'pool school'. It was for quite the fee though and I felt a little shut out of the process. I ended up 'buying' a bunch of stuff I never used in my pool since I knew I wanted to follow the TFP way before the pool was even filled up. They came back after the initial 30 days to add the salt for the SWG, etc... I also bought the cover from them so had them do the closing while they installed it.

This is usually very specific in your contract who is responsible for the start up of the pool. If it’s not written on paper it’s not going to happen. If your looking for a contact to do the start up your plaster company is who I would ask first for a recommendatio.

Last edited:
Now that I know what I know about pools (learned here at TFP), even if the contract specified it, I wouldn't let anyone near my pool during startup. That is the most critical time of young plaster's life. How it is cared for during that first month, and that first year, especially the chemistry, can determine how it will look, and how long it will last. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Never more true than with pools. Learn here. Ask questions. TFP folks will help you.

Reactions: kimkats and pjt
My PB partnered with a company
From what you wrote, sounds like it was for the other companies benefit and not yours
This is usually very specific in your contract
Unlike many of the contracts that I've seen posted here, ours is very simple and lacking. No construction specs, no detailed equip list or model numbers, no time frames, etc. But it does have the draws covered!
Pool builders rarely do the daily brushing
There is no way I could imagine our builder coming out here for daily brushing. Fortunately, my schedule provides the time.
Learn here
Here or on my own. My expectations from the builder are low.

Allen gave you a great link:

I would recommend you pick a mentor and stick with their method. I truly believe that mentor should be TFP, but more importantly don't mix and match advice from different sources, along with maybe your own sense of what to do. That is a recipe for failure. Been there, done that. Trying half of what we teach here, along with some things the local pool store swears by, with something your PB or neighbor said... will likely not end well. TFP bases its advice on science and decades of user experience. The pimply-faced dude at the pool store, or the "I hardly ever get algae" neighbor, or a PB that can't finish your job fast enough to get on to the next one? Not so much.

Reactions: newdude
Well, my PB did it! He was here everyday, after the initial equipment start-up, i.e. removing the pressure test pipes from the skimmers, starting the pumps, making sure the pool equipment worked. He left then the pool builder was here everyday afterwards. He brushed the first 2-3 days, added chlorine to get up to 3 ppm, ensured pH was 7.8, 7.9. He wanted an initial CSI on the plus side of zero during the first 30 days. He consistently brushed everyday. He did miss brushing some days, he needed a stern discussion after that. Taking care of the quartz finish was imperative. He was on it everyday after that.

Oh, I just remembered, that was me. I was the PB as I did an owner/build. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.