Using tape to seal the top of the pool and potential damage to the liner

95ripper

Jun 5, 2023
Michigan
Hi, I am hoping someone here can help out with what I am looking to do. I am installing a pool and putting a new liner in. This is an above-ground saltwater pool. The top rails and stabilizer strips are metal and have some rust. I have painted and sealed them in prep for assembling the pool, but want to keep rust to a minimum to prolong the life of the pool. The idea I have is once the pool is assembled and filled, is take gorilla all-weather tape, and run it on the edge of the liner at the coping strips, and up and under the top rails to seal the stabilizer rails and top rails from the salt water. My thought is anything I can do to keep that area from getting continually splashed as the kids are playing will help with the longevity of everything. Has anyone had any experience with using a butyl-based adhesive tape sticking to a pool liner and it causing any issues with the liner? I don't want to do this and have it save the top rails but ruin the liner and have that come apart. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Paint the rails with a coat or rust neutralizer and then cover with Rustoleum.

Putting tape on the rails will hold moisture and promote rusting.

Reactions: PoolStored
I have already done that with the rails, they rust has been neutralized and all parts primed and painted. I am only looking to seal them from inside the pool, they will be open on the outside so they will still be able to breathe, but closing the air flow off is a concern that I hadn't thought of, so thank you for that help.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tape hurting the liner, I am not committing to doing this, just trying to gather all the info I can.

Thank you,