Resurfacing Pool - Hollow Spots

Jgoal55

Feb 16, 2019
Miami
Hi everyone. I only posted here once when I was building my pool and again now because we are resurfacing the pool with a new coat of diamond brite and looking for a little advice. So, thanks in advance for the help.

We’re currently in the process of the resurfacing and the contractor chipped away probably about 30 to 35% of the old surface.

I was a bit surprised that more of the old surface wasn’t taken off, but not sure if this is pretty standard.

Furthermore, I went around the pool with a hammer and found several hollow spots that hadn’t been chipped away.

How worried should I be about these hollow spots and the fact that he didn’t find them first? And how worried should I be about the fact that he hasn’t chipped more of the old surface away?

Or am I just overthinking this entirely?

This is the same contractor that built the pool, and honestly, I was very pleased with everything he did. He was excellent.

Edit: contractor just responded that they haven’t finished the prep work yet, so that it’s nothing to worry about. Thoughts?

Last edited:
How worried should I be about these hollow spots and the fact that he didn’t find them first? And how worried should I be about the fact that he hasn’t chipped more of the old surface away?

All hollow spots need to be removed unless you want to do it again later on.

Reactions: Jgoal55
You want a complete chipout using flat chisels, not pointed.

You do not want a lazy chipout that may be good enough.

Reactions: kimkats
How long ago was the pool originally plastered?
6.5yrs ago. But as it turns out, the company who he uses for the material (not diamond brite brand) supposedly had some bad batches that year and the material is being replaced under warranty.
You want a complete chipout using flat chisels, not pointed.

You do not want a lazy chipout that may be good enough.

Meaning he should remove ALL the diamond brite?