DIY pad design with automation: Do you regret it (or parts of it)?

shagymoe

Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2022
Boynton Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've decided to go full DIY and redesign my entire pad, keeping only the heat pump and filter.
I'm thinking to install the following:
I'm looking for advice on if/how I should redesign the inlet and return plumbing/valve setup. Would you keep it as-is in the pics attached or make changes/improvements? One installer giving a quote made the comment that the inlet setup was weird, maybe because the skimmer and spa drain are on a 3-way. I don't remember his reasoning now.

Attachments

• IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5693.jpeg
    IMG_5693.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 29
Look at the Intelliflow Installation Manual and I think you will find Pentair recommends 5X the inlet pipe diameter for a straight run into the pump.

What is weird about your suction valves is the common setup is a 3 way diverter before the pump that selects POOL or SPA suction. Then behind that valve on the POOL side you have a 3 way diverter that allows you to balance the skimmer and main drain.

You have to move two valves to change between POOL to SPA with your current setup. That does not work well with actuator and automation.

IntelliValves have reliability issues and are not repairable. They do no more than standard actuators. I would use standard actuators that can be repaired and rebuilt.

I would skip the IntellipH.

Do you have a SWG?

Last edited:
Look at the Intelliflow Installation Manual and I think you will find Pentair recommends 5X the inlet pipe diameter for a straight run into the pump.
Thanks, I knew about that plus other mistakes by the previous owner

What is weird about your suction valves is the common setup is a 3 way diverter before the pump that selects POOL or SPA suction. Then behind that valve on the POOL side you have a 3 way diverter that allows you to balance the skimmer and main drain.

You have to move two valves to change between POOL to SPA with your current setup. That does not work well with actuator and automation.
This is the bit that I'm not sure how to best set up with the given pipes and diameters

IntelliValves have reliability issues and are not repairable. They do no more than standard actuators. I would use standard actuators that can be repaired and rebuilt.
This is awesome info, thanks! I didn't know there were rebuildable actuators. What are some reliable examples?

I would skip the IntellipH.
Thanks, I was borderline. I definitely don't need or want it right away. I need to see how my pool reacts to being a SWG pool.

Do you have a SWG?
No

Last edited:
. I have to say though that it's nice to be able to do JUST the main drain or JUST the skimmer.

You still will be able to with them connected to two sides of a 3 way diverter.

You still will be able to with them connected to two sides of a 3 way diverter.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm surprised automation doesn't play nice with multiple valves. I figured you could specify the exact position for any number of valves for each mode.

My pool really likes a specific amount of pull and push from each inlet/return. The spa drain needs to be pulling a little to keep the spa water recirculating but not so much that the spa return can't overcome it to spill over.

My pool really likes a specific amount of pull and push from each inlet/return. The spa drain needs to be pulling a little to keep the spa water recirculating but not so much that the spa return can't overcome it to spill over.

You will probably run your spa differently once you have a SPILLOVER mode with your automation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I couldn't find an installer I liked or who would install what I wanted, so I'm DIYing and thinking full automation. Intellicenter, IC40, Intelliflo3, Intellivalves. It will require essentially cutting everything out and rebuilding everything (except my heat pump and it's plumbing). There's another part of me that is just saying, replace your old pump and maybe some valves and forget automation. I know how it can be with these things and tweaking things and messing with configuration can steal your life away when you could have just left everything manual and might have saved yourself time due to the simplicity. I'm just curious if anyone regrets going with automation or if there's anything they'd do differently. I prefer to learn lessons from others when possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.