fjzsocal

Jun 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've got an RJ60+, and will be cleaning it soon. Once done, I'm planning to dump the acid from the cleaning back into the pool, since I'm always adding acid anyway.

Is anyone aware if there's any reason not to do this? Maybe I'm being paranoid - as far as I know, it's only dissolving calcium off the plates, and I don't see any danger with that going back in.

thanks

You are adding the calcium back into the pool. Why? The acid is expended.

You should not be using muriatic acid to 'clean' a SWCG. With proper pool water chemistry management, you should never get significant scale on your SWCG.

Reactions: Bperry
I've got an RJ60+, and will be cleaning it soon. Once done, I'm planning to dump the acid from the cleaning back into the pool, since I'm always adding acid anyway.

Is anyone aware if there's any reason not to do this? Maybe I'm being paranoid - as far as I know, it's only dissolving calcium off the plates, and I don't see any danger with that going back in.

thanks
If you clean the cell with acid you are reducing its lifespan. Is there a reason you’re cleaning it?

Just following manufacturer's recommendations.
Should it not be done?
Acid-cleaning a cell should be the last option. It definitely shortens the life of the cell. Usually, if there are deposits, a strong spray from a good garden-hose nozzle should be enough to remove them. Also, if any remain, a wood paint stir-stick (never a metal scraper) can be use to push them off the blades. You can get them at Home Depot, usually a couple are free.
61RI1d1v31L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just following manufacturer's recommendations.
Should it not be done?
It only needs to be cleaned if there’s white crusty stuff on the plates. If there is calcium scaling on it, you should use some popsicles sticks to chip it off first to avoid that.

I'm glad I saw this thread.

I inherited this pool when we bought the house in December. I downloaded the SWG manuafacturer's info and followed it to clean with acid.

I just saw the "maintenance check cell" light pop on the other day and was figuring I'd clean it again. But, I reset it thinking I'd just check later.

Sounds like I don't much need to worry about that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.