Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
When I took over my pool I changed my cycle to 12hrs on high speed... then I saw my electric bill.... so probably a week ago I changed cycle to 8hrs weekdays high and 10hrs weekends high. My pump has 4 speeds, and I'm not taking advantage of it at all. This morning I went out to skim since I couldn't do so last night and noticed a few light stains from what appears to be an earwig resting on step near pool corner. Pump turned off at 5pm so over 12hrs without cycling water...

I'm more concerned about staining from organic matter than my electric bill... I'm thinking about running intervals, since according to pump specs my roughly 20k pool turns over in apx 1.5hrs. Planning on a 12-14hr period, say 3hrs on/1hr off and set low pump speed for early morning and late evening with high speed during day...

Any thoughts on this? Thanks as always!

You'll find here on this forum we don't place much validity in water turnover. Once a pool is chemically balanced and debris skimmed from the surface, additional water movement can be a waste of energy. After all, one of the benefits of having a VSP is energy savings. It seems odd that an earwig would result in staining so quickly. I'll admin I can get a bit lazy, and I'll let various insects sink to the bottom of my pool (or steps) for a day or two until I can get to them with no staining. I wonder if the staining could have been from something else, it just so happened the earwig landed in that same area? Just a thought. I see you have a K-2006 kit. Maybe let us see a set of water test results just to make sure we're not missing there that may contibute to the stains?

You do know that "turnovers" are a myth???

I run my pump at 1200 RPM, most of the time... I do run 24/7, but only because I have a SWCG and I like the idea that I am generating a little chlorine all the time.. I also like the idea that I am constantly skimming... My "unsubstantiated" theory is that it is much harder on a pump to be turned on and off many times a day, than it is to run constantly..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You'll find here on this forum we don't place much validity in water turnover. Once a pool is chemically balanced and debris skimmed from the surface, additional water movement can be a waste of energy. After all, one of the benefits of having a VSP is energy savings. It seems odd that an earwig would result in staining so quickly. I'll admin I can get a bit lazy, and I'll let various insects sink to the bottom of my pool (or steps) for a day or two until I can get to them with no staining. I wonder if the staining could have been from something else, it just so happened the earwig landed in that same area? Just a thought. I see you have a K-2006 kit. Maybe let us see a set of water test results just to make sure we're not missing there that may contibute to the stains?
I could have swore it was an earwig but I suppose it could have been something else. I hadn't had my coffee yet lol. Maybe blown in from a tree? Unsure, except that when I skimmed it up there was a light stain that wouldn't come up with pool brush. My PoolMath logs are linked in my profile. Thanks!

You do know that "turnovers" are a myth???

I run my pump at 1200 RPM, most of the time... I do run 24/7, but only because I have a SWCG and I like the idea that I am generating a little chlorine all the time.. I also like the idea that I am constantly skimming... My "unsubstantiated" theory is that it is much harder on a pump to be turned on and off many times a day, than it is to run constantly..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Makes sense. I had no idea that turnovers weren't critical. I like the idea of 24/7 at low speeds. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.