Did I ruin my sand filter

Going to open up next week. We repaired our equipment pad that had settled. I moved the sand filter off the pad and rolled it across the yard a ways to get it out of the way. Did I ruin it? I read after the fact it’s not a good idea. I’m curious if I need to do something before I start circulating water again. Thanks

Reactions: splashpad
I believe you can get the parts. I do not have a sand filter so have pinged someone that can give advice.

I imagine you can call InyoPools in the morning and order everything. Just need the model number of the sand filter.

Reactions: 514parts
Well I got lucky. I sucked all the sand out this morning and took everything apart. I didn’t hurt a thing besides mixing pea gravel and sand all together.

This is my third year here with this pool. The previous owners installed the filter in 2015 so I guess it won’t hurt to change out the sand and gravel. Hopefully it will warm up and quit raining here so I can get it open for the year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Living right!!

Since the gravel and sand are mixed, you should put in new sand. Normally, sand lasts forever.

You might be able to separate the sand and gravel with a makeshift sifter.

The right size screen or mesh should allow the sand to pass while catching the gravel.

How many pounds of sand does the filter take?

Last edited:
Unless the manual requires gravel, you can use all sand.

Gravel helps keep the slits on the laterals clear of sand and helps keep smaller sand particles from passing through the slits.

As long as the sand is good quality, the slits should not get clogged or allow sand to pass through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.