hotubbie

May 17, 2020
Dallas
For the past year or so, I've done sanitation and shock in my 500 gallon tub with Bromine and MPS mixes. I've recently shifted from MPS to a dichlor-based shock. Since my shocks are typically no more frequent than weekly, should I have any concern of CYA buildup? I don't do any CYA testing except for an occasional test strip which typically shows very low CYA. I've shifted to Dichlor shock only for the last two times.

My recent two dichlor shocks were with the SpaGuard Enhanced Shock product with 58.2% dichlor.

The Cya will build up but as I understand it- it will be of no consequence because the chlorine (which gets bound by cya) will immediately be converted to bromine (which is unaffected by cya).
Maybe
@JoyfulNoise can explain better.

If you are regularly dumping the hot tub water every 2-3 months then CYA build up is not an issue. In a bromine tub it’s even less of an issue but you should still be dumping the tub regularly. No more than 3 months before water should be exchanged if the hot is being used regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.