DFW New Pool Build

SohCahToa

Apr 25, 2020
Dallas/TX
Hi all. I’ve been reading the forum to get a good start on designing our upcoming pool. We have met with 5 builders and we believe we’ve decided on a builder to work with. I would really appreciate any feedback you all could provide to help steer us in the right direction. Please let me know if there’s any additional information I can provide.
  • Pool Specs
    • Pool Dimensions 34’x17’
    • Deck sq ft 1107
    • Pool Depths 3.5-5.0-4.5
    • Pool Perimeter 102
    • Pool Area sq ft 560
    • Estimated Gallons 17,472
  • Pool Steel Rebar
    • ½” Steel rebar on 10” centers
    • 1” Bond Beam, Overlap Transitions
  • Pool Plumbing
    • 30 ft to equipment
    • 2 skimmers
    • Duel Safety Drains
    • 2” Suction
    • 6 Returns
    • Auto Fill
    • Over Flow
  • Gunite
    • 12” Bond Beam on Top
    • 8” Wall
    • 6” Floor
  • Tile & Coping
    • 12” Standard Coping
    • Leuders Light Buff 2”
    • Leuders Straight Ease Edge
  • Deck
    • Decorative Pattern Sun Deck
  • Spa
    • 7’x7’ 18” Raised – Spillway
    • 6 Wall Jets
  • Interior Finish
    • Quartz scapes Regular
  • Water Features
    • 3 24” Sheer Descent Water Feater
    • 2 Bubblers in ledge
  • Equipment
    • Filters: Clean & Clear Plus 520
    • Pumps: Intelliflo VSF (Vac. Breaker) 2
    • Cleaners: Pentair Cleaner 3/4 hp Booster
      • Pentair Racer Pressure Cleaner
    • Pool Sanitation
      • 8.7 Bags of Salt
      • 1 CMP Power Cholrinator Tablet
    • Lights
      • 2 LED 5G IntellBrite Color 100’ Pool
    • Controllers
      • Easy Touch 8 Pool/Spa w Salt 40k
      • Screen Logic Interface 4, 8 Module
  • Spa Equipment
    • Heater: 400k BTU MasterTemp NG
    • Spa Light: 1 LED 5G IntellBrite Color 100’ Spa
    • Spa Blower: QT Silcencer 1.5hp 240v
    • Spa Side Controller: 4 Function Spa Side Remote

• Payment Schedule:
  • Down Payment: 0
  • Excavation/1st Day of Work: 30%
  • Gunite Install: 44%
  • Decking: 18%
  • Plaster Install: 8%

Pool 1.jpg
Pool 3.jpgPool 4.jpgPool 2.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Your design in off to a good start. Here are a couple of thoughts about it:
Plaster Install: 8%
See about getting this adjusted to 8% after punch list is finished.

Depth-make sure that is WATER depth. Some people call depth as from the floor to the the coping. WATER depth is from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening.

Spa-see how the spa overflows onto the shelf? I would close that part up. The reason being the overflow will splash onto anyone sitting on the shelf that is trying to chat with the people in the spa.

Shelf depth-What are your plans for this? Do you plan on putting loungers or chairs on it? Or just sit on it and enjoy some water on your body? Where do you want the water to hit your body?

Kim:kim:

@kimkats

Thank you for the response.

I will check on your first 2 items.

Great point on the Spa that I didn't consider.

The initial plan for the shelf is to serve as a kiddie pool for my 1 and 3 year old. Eventually, we'd like the option to add loungers in this section. Is there standard depth/length that we should consider? My initial thought is approx 6-8" deep.

Pumps: Intelliflo VSF (Vac. Breaker) 2

Soh,

Ask your pool builder if the "Vac Breaker" means that the pumps have the SVRS option... If the answer is yes... run the other way. IntelliFlo pumps are the gold standard of pool pumps... all of them except the SVRS model. I was talked into the SVRS model and have been paying for it ever since. If my next-door neighbor just passes a little gas my pump will shut off. Ok, not really, but if the pump sense any changes in suction pressure it will shut off. And there is no way to adjust how sensitive it is. I'm sure your pool builder will tell you it is "required" but is it not. That is just a load of Bull Feathers.

I've learned a few tricks to keep in from happening, but it is something I should not have to do.

You will love your new saltwater pool, good choice.

I have three pools and all three have EasyTouch systems and ScreenLogic. I love them... and it will work just fine for you. That said, if I were to build a new pool today, it would have the new IntelliCenter. It is better than the EasyTouch and about the same price when you include ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Looks like great design! 0 down even better.. Most builders in DFW are asking 1000-3000K down.. I agree with others, negotiate the last payment after punch list. I did not do this and my builder is a little slow in wrapping up some items..

What type of timeline are they giving you? My build (see link in sig) was almost 8 months from contract signing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Depths 3.5-5.0-4.5
Consider 4' for the shallow end. 3.5' is a bit too shallow for most pools.

Filters: Clean & Clear Plus 520
Great filter, you'll love it.

• Pumps: Intelliflo VSF (Vac. Breaker) 2
Do not get a SVRS pump. Look for the IntelliFlo 011056 or 011028.

Cleaners: Pentair Cleaner 3/4 hp Booster
  • Pentair Racer Pressure Cleaner
Ditch the booster pump & pressure cleaner and get a robot. Cleans much better and costs almost nothing to operate.

Pool Sanitation
  • 8.7 Bags of Salt
  • 1 CMP Power Cholrinator Tablet
Are you getting a SWG? I didn't see it specifically listed. You want at least an IC40 or upgrade to an IC60. Ditch the tab feeder regardless.

Controllers
  • Easy Touch 8 Pool/Spa w Salt 40k
  • Screen Logic Interface 4, 8 Module
Consider going with IntelliCenter, which is the current generation of Pentair automation.

Lights
  • 2 LED 5G IntellBrite Color 100’ Pool
I would suggest going with MicroBrite lights instead. Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

Payment Schedule
Hold back a few thousand dollars until all work and punch list items are complete to your satisfaction.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.