DFW New Build 7/6/21-Swimming On 8/28

Current situation....our yard is doubling as a rock quarry :ROFLMAO: Hoping workers come out today to bring tile samples for spa tile roll. Monday they plan to bring a Bobcat and skyjack, so maybe we dub this the "calm before the storm"

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Snoobug and newdude
We're excited, but my neighbors probably hate us because they've been sawing flagstone for days.
Our neighbors let us use their driveway for some of the heavy equipment path to our backyard to prevent destruction of our front lawn. We treated them to a VERY nice dinner out and I have smoked a turkey for them on several Thanksgivings. It’s always good to acknowledge anything your neighbors may have put up with during the pool build. 🙂

Our neighbors let us use their driveway for some of the heavy equipment path to our backyard to prevent destruction of our front lawn. We treated them to a VERY nice dinner out and I have smoked a turkey for them on several Thanksgivings. It’s always good to acknowledge anything your neighbors may have put up with during the pool build. 🙂
The challenge for us is we live on a hill-so it's not just the neighbors beside us listening to the noise, it's like 6 houses. Our next door neighbors built their pool in January-it was completed end of May. They were shooting gunite at 10pm, etc. with no acknowledgment of noise.

I've contacted our neighbors and tried to give them a heads up about the noise and apologized in advance. But we will have some of them over when the pool is complete and things aren't "hazardous" in our yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exciting but at times scary day watching them drive the boom over uneven terrain to place the grotto rock. They had to use a "lighter" rock than what they wanted because of the space they had to bring in the rock. They were cool as cucumbers, we were holding our breath.

Attachments

• IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4169.jpg
    IMG_4169.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4176.jpg
    IMG_4176.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 72
The first picture shows where they left things for the night. Today they plan to finish the grotto/waterfall. We are still working on getting tile for the spa, he bought three samples yesterday but I didn't love any of them. The tile photo is what I am thinking, so they are checking for stock and hoping to finish the spa with coping, tile, etc. on Monday and then finish plumbing and start prepping for deck.

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since we broke ground-not only am I impressed with their work but the communication, speed, etc., we're counting ourselves incredibly fortunate given the issues others are having.

Attachments

• 8.4.21.jpg
    8.4.21.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    877.2 KB · Views: 50
  • CBB-1-Williamsburg-EditedV3-980x735.jpg
    CBB-1-Williamsburg-EditedV3-980x735.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 51
In,

Keep in mind there is a very thin line between a pile of rocks and a great looking waterfall.. Generally, unless you have the right background, it is pretty hard to make a rock waterfall look like it belongs there. I suggest that you look through some of our construction pics and it will be obvious what I am talking about.

I also like two skimmers and 4 returns...

Have you actually been in a gunite spa before?? If not, I suggest that you use one before you buy one, just so that you know what you are getting.

Good luck with your new pool build, and thanks for posting.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim-your point about the rocks gave me nightmares. Okay not nightmares per se but I talked to our PB over and over again about getting something that looks cool, natural and custom. Wondering your thoughts on what they've done

8.4.21.jpg

I know your not asking me but I personally love it. Some I have seen just rise up from the deck like a skyscraper, yours is tapered and feathered in. It looks fantastic. I am curious about two things though....

1. What is the height from the coping to the top of the grotto lid?
2. What was the "tonnage" of rock that they used to achieve your look?

• Love
Reactions: Indeeph2o
I know your not asking me but I personally love it. Some I have seen just rise up from the deck like a skyscraper, yours is tapered and feathered in. It looks fantastic. I am curious about two things though....

1. What is the height from the coping to the top of the grotto lid?
2. What was the "tonnage" of rock that they used to achieve your look?
Thank you. I'm unsure about the height-I'll have to check that, specs were for it to be no higher than 4.5 feet.
Yesterday he said the rock they chose weighed 7,000 pounds but due to it's weight and our yard/logistics, they had to use a 3500 lb rock instead. For them to access our yard they have to come down a 14 degree driveway, then cut through our yard that has multiple mature trees, and then there's a slope off the back side of the pool. So it would have required two tractors to bring in the heavier rock and even with us taking out three trees, there wasn't enough room.

Thank you. I'm unsure about the height-I'll have to check that, specs were for it to be no higher than 4.5 feet.
Yesterday he said the rock they chose weighed 7,000 pounds but due to it's weight and our yard/logistics, they had to use a 3500 lb rock instead. For them to access our yard they have to come down a 14 degree driveway, then cut through our yard that has multiple mature trees, and then there's a slope off the back side of the pool. So it would have required two tractors to bring in the heavier rock and even with us taking out three trees, there wasn't enough room.
Gotcha! So that single grotto lid rock weighs 3500#? WOW.

Around here the rock work is bid by "tons" and increases the price rather quickly. If your original rock was 7000# and the one they used is 3500# you seem to be getting a "good deal", and it looks great to boot! Tell em to hammer down, I'm anxious to see it all complete, lol. I wish your builder would come a little farther east and build mine.

Reactions: Indeeph2o

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.