NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This will be part of a renovation of a house on the National Historic Register in the Houston Heights area, an addition to the house, a 2nd story garage apartment, and pool house attached to the front of the garage. At my current house the pool pad is too small and I don't work on the equipment myself. I just check the SWG, pump and Polaris run times. Anytime the equipment is worked on I feel so bad for the guys that help me out. It's really tight in there, no place to stand, no place for tools, and the sun in Houston is brutal. So in this new location I want to do it right. The typical equipment, heater, SWG, automation, etc. It will be under a roof for protection from sun and rain and will have some kind of walls with ventilation, thinking slatted fence panels that open on all 3 sides for access and ventilation, 4th side is the garage. The regular pads the builders put in seem to be the minimum square footage.

What would you design if you could? What would you change on your pad now, what you did that you would skip, what did you forget. Oh, and I know a light is essential, I got that from reading lotssssss of posts.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

The first few things that come to mind for pads in general are:

5 x 10-12’+
Pumps on one side, filter in the middle and heater on the other side.
No pipes coming up through concrete, bring them up through stone.
Labeled.
Room to put your feet between equipment.
Control panels on something solid like a structure wall or a wall created by posts and 2 x 10’s.
Good airflow.
Protection from sun or at least spray paint pipes.

I know not all of these relate to you but its a good topic...equipment pad best practices.

Reactions: SuzfromTexas
bmoreswim I was hoping you would comment. Thats a much bigger pad than I have now, so I like that idea. I had seen in other posts the pipes not coming through concrete. I intend to have a roof and ventilated walls for sun and weather protection. Labeling and control panels are definitely needed. I would love it if others would chime in on equipment pad best practices.

This is a great thread! I hope more members will chime in.
What are some different options for labeling which will endure the elements?
What type or brand of paint is best on the pipes?
SuzfromTexas, I had those same questions. Hopefully some of the DIY pool owners that work on their pool equipment will tell us the tips and tricks, the could of, should have, and don't bother items. Hindsight is so helpful. I followed your build, the entire thing, thanks so much for sharing that journey, I learned so much.

Chris

Thank you, Chris! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one wondering about paint and labels. Four years ago seems like a long time. I remember there was some discussion back then about equipment pads. It's much easier to ask again now on a new thread!

I hope all is going well with you and your pool!

Take care,
Suz

I put my automation panel inside my pool house so it was protected and I had the room since I was adding a sub panel and low volt panel. We just planned accordingly for all conduits and the future.

My builder also left lots of working room for himself. Electrical and low volt was me though. He would have taken the easy route keeping it outside he said. Haha66D5B8E5-8748-4657-AF0D-2CCB4E759C89.jpegB6133573-2A72-419D-8EF0-96207EDCD08F.jpegF2BD8A33-1F37-442F-89B2-90A1C4FB28C1.jpeg6B472C96-63FA-4276-AAFA-7A5D2855A49A.jpeg203D399C-5D7C-4D64-8B6B-FA62107C1603.jpeg

Reactions: Arizonarob
Good point about the gizmo being to the brand Jim!

For the pad-make sure there is a hose bid so you can clean the filter right there.

As for what kind of paint I don't think it really matters the brand. I think the idea is for it to be light to not absorb the heat and for it to be a "cover" around the pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it’s a cool idea but they u are married to maytronics and the hope they continue to support it. I saw it the other night while reading.
So if it's dedicated to Maytronics do that mean that you'd have that APP and the the APP for all the other equipment, so 2 APPS on your phone. So how else do you control the robot. Don't have one will be getting one.

Good point about the gizmo being to the brand Jim!

For the pad-make sure there is a hose bid so you can clean the filter right there.

As for what kind of paint I don't think it really matters the brand. I think the idea is for it to be light to not absorb the heat and for it to be a "cover" around the pipes.
Hose bib, thanks Kimkats.

I put my automation panel inside my pool house so it was protected and I had the room since I was adding a sub panel and low volt panel. We just planned accordingly for all conduits and the future.

My builder also left lots of working room for himself. Electrical and low volt was me though. He would have taken the easy route keeping it outside he said. HahaView attachment 104673View attachment 104674View attachment 104675View attachment 104676View attachment 104677

So the pad with the equipment is outside and the controls are inside. Am I seeing that right? There is a lot of electrical, you must have everything automated. How big is the pad? What's all the individual equipment, anything unusual? The Pentair box I get is the pumps timers etc, is the Levitron all automation? It's a very neat and tidy electrical component layout. I now have to go read your build thread I guess.

So the pad with the equipment is outside and the controls are inside. Am I seeing that right? There is a lot of electrical, you must have everything automated. How big is the pad? What's all the individual equipment, anything unusual? The Pentair box I get is the pumps timers etc, is the Levitron all automation? It's a very neat and tidy electrical component layout. I now have to go read your build thread I guess.

The pentair box controls all my pool equipment only. Salt lights pump heater. Controlled by pentair app.

Robot is it’s own app.

Leviton box is for my low volt stuff. Internet. Home automation. Extra wire drops for me to control stuff.

Breaker box is pretty straight forward. Electrical for pool and pool house.

I have very little electrical for my pool compared to others here. All those pipes I are seeing is because all my pool pad runs are dedicated Incase we have to repull. Larger conduits are from my house for electrical and low volt. There is water and gas and sewer there also cause of the bathroom and kitchen.

My thread is literally a play by play of my whole build cause I was the contractor minus just my pool.

Reactions: jbrees
The pentair box controls all my pool equipment only. Salt lights pump heater. Controlled by pentair app.

Robot is it’s own app.

Leviton box is for my low volt stuff. Internet. Home automation. Extra wire drops for me to control stuff.

I have very little electrical for my pool compared to others here. All those pipes I are seeing is because all my pool pad runs are dedicated Incase we have to repull. Larger conduits are from my house for electrical and low volt. There is water and gas and sewer there also cause of the bathroom and kitchen.

My thread is literally a play by play of my whole build cause I was the contractor minus just my pool.

Robot is it’s own app.

I am not sure how to find the link to your pool build, I would love to read it. What is the title, can I search that way?

Make sure there is enough room on the entire pad to get all the way around, even get behind the equipment. I can't really fit between my house and the pumps for example, and I've wanted/had to on several occasions even though the pool is only one season old.

Also make sure there is adequate lighting for night time operation as well. I second the hose bib, definitely a necessity. Perhaps an AC receptacle in case you ever need to plug anything into power.

Oversize any electrical boxes in case you want to add anything.

Make sure there is enough room on the entire pad to get all the way around, even get behind the equipment. I can't really fit between my house and the pumps for example, and I've wanted/had to on several occasions even though the pool is only one season old.

Also make sure there is adequate lighting for night time operation as well. I second the hose bib, definitely a necessity. Perhaps an AC receptacle in case you ever need to plug anything into power.

Oversize any electrical boxes in case you want to add anything.

That's the problem with my current pad, built by previous owner. There is not room to stand, move, let alone bend over and work on any piece of equipment. I second the need for the light don't have one now. The AC receptacle is a good suggestion too. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.