Cetanorak

Jun 13, 2022
Wimberley, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
About to become a first-time owner of an IGP. The pool has no decking or surround, so we are in the process of getting quotes on building a pool surround. The surround will be constructed with areas of light colored concrete and MoistureShield decking. The existing coping is yellow-brown flagstone, so we were going to replace the coping with a clean white 2.235" Leuder stone (or Travertine) to better match the new, light colored pool surround. To demo the existing coping, there will be concrete cutting and who knows what else, which will produce plenty debris, dust, etc....

Can anybody comment on experiences with a similar coping demo + replacement and strategies for protecting the pool filtration system from debris:
- what strategy would you adopt for cleaning (considering that there may be chunks/chards of concrete in water)?
- let skimmers/main drain/Polaris vacuum throughout demolition or turn pump off and manual vacuum to waste once demo is complete?
- leave solar pool cover on or install some other type of membrane/barrier over water?

Last edited:
I went through similar last year It started out as a liner replacement and replacing the coping!

If you can keep you plumbing and equipment running then let it run while work is going on and vacuum as often as you can. Otherwise you end up like I did. Really not that bad to clean up, other than the annoying small rock or piece of mortar/cement clogging the vacuum.

I have seen others put a solar cover in the pool to catch stuff from falling in the pool.

Depending on access, plan of having to redo other things in your yard, lawn, plantings, irrigation, etc. Also a good time to make sure all your pool lines are good, run larger electric service for heat pump or a line for a gas heater.

Reactions: kne
Why do you want to replace that coping? I like it like it is..............but do understand if it does not fit your vision for the pool.

Get some good tape and heavy plastic drop cloth. Tape it as good as you can. I would leave the pump off while the sheeting is on to make sure it does not get messed up.

To get out what does get in the pool I would have a deep net ready to scoop it out as best you can. What kind of vacuum do you have?

Why do you want to replace that coping? I like it like it is..............but do understand if it does not fit your vision for the pool.
We were really looking for a very clean, minimal white color scheme for the pool surround but are on the fence about whether we want to go through all of the trouble demolishing something that is in working condition. Perhaps we could have that yellowish flagstone coping whitewashed or limewashed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.