Decreased Skimmer Effectiveness

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
So we have had our pool five years now, and for the most part all has been good. This year though I have noticed a lot more "stuff" in the pool, leaves, bugs, etc. and a lot less in the skimmers. I used to put hair nets in the skimmers to capture all the small stuff and had to clean them out at least every other day, now I can go weeks with out much in them. Suction is good, water level is good. The pool is 43'8"x16' with two skimmers with a return between them on one side and two returns on the opposite side. I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't seem to be functioning well.

The other thing is we have the pumps running 24/7 which you would think means the water would be more free of debris. I keep trying to adjust the on/off trip switches but they keep coming loose and falling together - killing me on electric and not helping with keeping the pool clean.

Any ideas?

Do you have a main drain? Maybe you need to close the sucction on the main drain for the skimmers to work better. If you have a valve to select which skimmer, try to use only one.

Proper water level, adequate pump speed and proper weir door operation are key to keeping the pool surface clean. Felipe's gives good advice about checking bottom drain vs skimmer suction as this may have been redirected.

Try using ping pong balls to observe and diagnose your surface circulation. Are you able to see debris being pulled into your skimmer boxes as it gets near or does it float on by. Do you feel good suction below your skimmer basket?

Yes good suction in the skimmer, tennis balls left by my husband and dog always end up in the skimmers. I’ll try the ping pong balls. looking at the attached construction plan you can see where the two skimmers and three return lines are, would it make sense to have the two returns on the far side go in opposite directions and the one between the skimmers going straight to get two circular motions or should they just go all the same direction to create one circle? I never notice this before but the one "return" is marked "pool cleaner" is this not a return, there is water coming out of it like the other two returns?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-29 13.09.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-29 13.09.47.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 12
Yes the returns should be pushing water towards the skimmers. Is your pool cleaner port for a pressure side or suction side cleaner? Take a look at the cleaner port is it open and working? I notice you are using a robot pool cleaner so no longer using the cleaning port?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.