jmcmanlove

Nov 17, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, our pool has a deck chlorinator, which is used to to slow feed tablets into the pool (much like the floating ones you can buy at the pool store).

It probably goes without saying that we are not using tablets anymore (thanks TFP!!!!) so now we don't know how to keep the deck chlorinator clean, sanitized, etc. since it will be off and not having any water flow (or Cl for that matter) through it. We recently noticed leaves, debris, and bugs had accumulated in this area and was clearly becoming a biohazard. :( we cleaned it out the debris, standing water, and scrubbed it with some SLAM'med pool water (~16 ppm). Not sure what to do next since, again, we have no intentions of putting pucks in there.

Anyone know about a lot deck chlorinators? Any chance LIQUID chlorine can be used instead? I can't find any info about this online or in the TFP forums. Thanks in advance!!

Happy to. See attached. I can take more pictures if needed.

It is located right next to the pool alongside the skim basket.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    918.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi all, our pool has a deck chlorinator, which is used to to slow feed tablets into the pool (much like the floating ones you can buy at the pool store).

It probably goes without saying that we are not using tablets anymore (thanks TFP!!!!) so now we don't know how to keep the deck chlorinator clean, sanitized, etc. since it will be off and not having any water flow (or Cl for that matter) through it. We recently noticed leaves, debris, and bugs had accumulated in this area and was clearly becoming a biohazard. :( we cleaned it out the debris, standing water, and scrubbed it with some SLAM'med pool water (~16 ppm). Not sure what to do next since, again, we have no intentions of putting pucks in there.

Anyone know about a lot deck chlorinators? Any chance LIQUID chlorine can be used instead? I can't find any info about this online or in the TFP forums. Thanks in advance!!
Instead of isolating the deck chlorinator, how about allowing water to run through the empty housing while the pump is running to keep things spic and span?

That looks like an A&A DekClor unit.

Just set the valve at the equipment pad connected to it about1/3 open to allow water to flow thru anytime the pump is on. That's how mine is set and I haven't put tabs in it for over 9 years. I do open it and rise with the hose a couple times a year.

That looks like an A&A DekClor unit.

Just set the valve at the equipment pad connected to it about1/3 open to allow water to flow thru anytime the pump is on. That's how mine is set and I haven't put tabs in it for over 9 years. I do open it and rise with the hose a couple times a year.
Ah thank you!

Any idea about using liquid chlorine? I'm assuming it's too corrosive for use in this unit. Was thinking about either using liquid chlorine to distribute to the pool or at the very least keep the unit sanitized since it seems to allow things to grow in it :(

Ah thank you!

Any idea about using liquid chlorine? I'm assuming it's too corrosive for use in this unit. Was thinking about either using liquid chlorine to distribute to the pool or at the very least keep the unit sanitized since it seems to allow things to grow in it :(
No reason to use liquid in that unit unless you want to, just let as much water flow through it as possible and it will stay relatively clean.
However, if it doesn't have water in it DO NOT add liquid. Mixing two kinds of chlorine is very dangerous and even the residue of tablets can cause a problem if not under water.

Add liquid chlorine directly to the pool.
Don't try dispensing liquid chlorine from the DekClor. - that is NOT it's intended purpose.
If you set the valve to about 1/3 to 1/2 open, there will be a continuous flow of water into the unit and overflowing the stand pipe. That will be properly chlorinated pool water and will keep things from growing in there.

Scrub out the DekClor, Quik Water Leveler and the skimmer. All those areas need to be clean and free of any debris, leaves, weeds, etc.
You can also hose down your deck with a hose end high pressure nozzle - similar to this...

Use extra care in the water leveler, it's easy to break the float valve or strip out the female threads the flow valve screws into. Also, if you ever need to replace the float valve - don't lose the little white restrictor seal in the bottom (should be visible after unscrewing the float valve).

Once you get tired of jug lugging chlorine, look into adding a SWG to the pool. While the the up front cost might seem steep, you are buying all the chlorine up front. And using a SWG while maintaining the pool using TFP methods is easy. A SWG is also cheaper long term than using liquid chlorine. @Newdude can fill you in further on the cost benefits.

Last edited:
Let me know if you want the deep dive, but an IC40 would make 7083 FC for you, or 708 jugs worth. That'd cost $4367.62 if you bought Walmart 10% bleach. The $1700 system leaves *plenty* of install cost room to still make out. Future cells don't need the install or the $500 controller and are about $1200 vs the $4367 in LC.

I would pay *more* for no jug lugging. It so happens I pay considerably less, but I'd pay more. :ROFLMAO:

@1poolman1 @proavia Lots of great info here. Thank you! I'm entering year three of being a pool owner and am still learning. Only just found TFP about 6 months ago, which has opened up so many doors 🤯

@Newdude would love to learn more about SWGs. We're prob not in the market to switch just yet but understanding the benefits now could help shorten that timeline. Feel free to send me a message, unless you think this thread could benefit from your deep dive. Thanks in advance!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
unless you think this thread could benefit from your deep dive.
Oh yeah. Anyone else looking with 10k gallons will get a real good idea about their #s too. (Prices fluctuate and all so it won't be dead on in 6 months but still reasonably close).

What kind of bleach are you using ? (% and cost)

No automation and no spa, correct ?