Dead Algae/Pool Chemistry

NateW18

Aug 6, 2022
Wakefield
Hello All

My pool opened on Friday. My pool guy did a heavy shock and added a PH balancer. The CYA level is only 16. After 1-2 days the water is crystal clear (could see the bottom in the shallow and deep ends. However, there were black/grey spots (assuming dead algae) so I vacuumed the dead algae on the bottom of the pool floor. I also have been brushing. When I vacuumed, it went away. But the next day it was back, just in different areas. It seemed to be less than there was initially. I have a cartridge filter too and only a hose vacuum that connects to the skimmer. Is my cartridge filter not filtering out the dead algae?

FYI, my chlorine levels are still really high.

I haven't added CYA yet. My pool guy said to wait until the pool was completely clean. Should I add that even tho I'm still getting dead algae?

I'm taking it to my local pool store which is right down the road.
One of the cornerstones of TFP is the ability to accurately test your water. Get a test kit today! Link-->Test Kits Compared

Why? Pool store testing is notoriously wrong. Ask me why I'm "PoolStored" We could make recommendations based on bad testing that will cost more or do harm to your pool. Trust me, get a test kit.

I would add 5ppm of liquid chlorine a day until your test kit arrives.

When it does, you likely will need to follow this process to kill it. Print it out, read it three times and get ready! Link-->SLAM Process

Proof..Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Reactions: mknauss
Great choice on the test kit.

Run your pump 24/7. Watch your filter pressure. When it rises 25% over clean filter pressure, clean the cartridges.

Scrub your pool a few times a day. Scrubbing will suspend that stuff and the filter will filter it out.

and add 5ppm of chlorine a day...this will inhibit the growth.

If you have a dolphin with fine filters, you can put that in.

Wait for your test kit to arive and test with it before adding anyCYA.
You really have no idea what the CYA level is presently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I add CYA now or wait until the algae is gone?
You don't know what your current CYA is...until you get your test kit. Don't add anything to your pool unless 1) you tested it with your kit and 2) you know what you are adding and why.

The only exception is Liquid Chlorine. With algae, we know that is being consumed.

Great choice on the test kit.

Run your pump 24/7. Watch your filter pressure. When it rises 25% over clean filter pressure, clean the cartridges.

Scrub your pool a few times a day. Scrubbing will suspend that stuff and the filter will filter it out.

and add 5ppm of chlorine a day...this will inhibit the growth.

If you have a dolphin with fine filters, you can put that in.
Would a filter sock help with the algae dust? Also 5ppm, what do you mean by that? Thanks for your help!

Pool Store said 16. You don't trust the pool stores at all? Honest question.
My name is PoolStored.

No. If I had a $ for every time I've helped someone here because they did something based on pool store testing I'd have a nice sum of money. It is wrong more times than not.

There are 250K threads and 2.4MM messages on TFP. I would hazard that 60% of them are due to bad pool store testing and advice.

Stay out of the pool store.

Sincerely,
PoolStored.

Would a filter sock help with the algae dust? Also 5ppm, what do you mean by that? Thanks for your help!
Not much, but I use them every day. These are good ones, disposable. Socks are hard to clean.

Download pool math to your phone. Link-->PoolMath

Configure your pool size/parameters, and use the "effects of adding" function, will help you to figure out how much 5ppm is...

3 Quarts will add about 5ppm to a 16K pool.

PH 7.1
CYA 60
Calcium Hardness 224
FC 11.01
TC 13.32
TA 80
Iron .1
Copper .1
Salt 3300
Water was very clear. Added Salt last night to bring up to 3300. Now I have an oily film on pool water. Also should I be concerned about iron and copper levels

Looking for next steps. Thanks

Great. If you will run a full set of tests using your own proper test kit and post those results we can provide some guidance.

In your other thread this spring, you were given advice to get a test kit. This looks like pool store testing.

The advice stands...you need to get your own test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Why? Our experience is that pool store testing is not accurate/reliable. If we make recommendations with test results that are not accurate, we can do damage to pools, people and pets. We don't want to do any harm...

Hello All

My test kit did arrive. Here are my numbers. FYI, the pool is clear and seems like everythign is okay. Just checking to see if there are any tweeks I can do.

PH-7.4
Total Alkalinity-80
CYA-60
CH-250-270-hard to tell with test kit. It first turned purplish then blue. IF waiting util true blue its 270. If waiting until purple then 250
FC-4.8
CC-.6
water temp-80-82

I know the free chlorine is a little low, and needs to be closer to 7.

Minimum FC for your CYA is 5. Add 4ppm of liquid chlorine when you can. SWG is good at maintaining, but not raising. Keep your FC at 9 until you know your daily FC demand.

I would do this test tonight if you can or tomorrow...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Test with SWCG off. Test 30 minutes after SWCG off, pump running...and after sunset. In the morning, run pump 30 minutes and test before sunrise.

If you fail OCLT, we SLAM! Link-->SLAM Process

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.