May 16, 2018
New York
Hi Everyone, I opened my pool last week and got almost all of the visible organics out. I’m on Day 3 of the SLAM. My CYA was high 70, so I needed to get FC up to 28 according to the chart. I’m almost there - FC dropped a little bit after the first day, and I added some additional chlorine yesterday. Filter pressure increased twice to 30 and I had to backwash. I plan on opening the filter and cleaning the grids tomorrow and adding fresh DE. I’m kind of flying blind right now as I used up the rest of my R-0871 this evening doing the FC test – I ordered more.

My question – The pool is crystal clear but I still smell chloramines around the pool area. I’m not sure if that’s normal during a SLAM ? I added a ton of bleach/shock to the pool – or whether this is an indication that I still have an algae issue ? Any thoughts about the smell ?

CH = 325
TA= 100
PH = 7.2
FC = 26
CC = 0
CYA = 70

Thank you

Use a 10 ml water sample for your FC testing. One scoop of R0870, each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

The chlorine smell is CC. When you can fully test your water, then you will know where you are in the process.

Reactions: eabarnes66
Thanks - that makes sense for conserving the R0871

I'm not sure if others have run into this problem, but none of my local pool supply stores carry the reagent. I have to order online and wait for shipping.

Last edited:
Hello again - I just received additional R0871. Using a 10ml sample I have the following numbers

CYA 50
FC 15.5
CC .5 (If that, it was pretty much clear)

It's definitely possible CYA dropped as I did backwash a lot and we did get a lot of rain. With the new numbers, according to the chart, I should be trying to get to FC to 20. I broke down my filter and cleaned it by hand today and added new DE. Besides getting FC up a bit and brushing, is there anything else I should be doing ? The pool is clear, but I still have what I think is that chloramines smell. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance

I removed the cover when I opened the pool - I have a loop lock cover and the water quality after the winter is really bad. I'm actually considering using a traditional cover above the loop lock in the future to hopefully reduce the amount of chlorine I need to add upon opening.
I did that with the cover as well and it worked pretty good. A few small animals still got through though. :cautious:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.