Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My sister runs a commercial pool and told me that Florida is considering banning CYA totally. She said it's already banned in hot tubs. Any truth to this?

They are probably just considering following what other State health departments have done - limit cyanurates in a public/commercial pool. It’s doubtful they’d even try to do anything on the residential end because enforcement would be impossible.

Reactions: PoolGate
Right commercial that's what I mean. It sounds to me like they simply don't understand the CYA to CHLORINE level and keep the same (low) chlorine level regardless of CYA.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Right commercial that's what I mean. It sounds to me like they simply don't understand the CYA to CHLORINE level and keep the same (low) chlorine level regardless of CYA.

Yeah. They’re only looking at studies that show how cya makes contact kill times longer … but they don’t control the data set for HOCl levels, they simply fix the FC and then vary the CYA. So, duh, of course it makes pathogen kill times longer.

Reactions: PoolGate
PG,

It is Florida, so it would not surprise me... :scratch:

It is apparent that they don't even like filters... :mrgreen:

Even if true, I suspect it would be more of a commercial pool rule, than it would be a personal pool rule.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It must be embarrassing to be a pool owner in FL … all those dinky filters everywhere. Except, the Floridians will just scoff and say, “it’s not the size that matters …” Riiiiiiight …. 😂

She said she runs a chlorine level of 8 with 0 CYA. Wouldn't that be fairly harsh water? It's not a saltwater pool either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The debate has been going on for a long time.

Below is an article from 2008.

Posted on: January 01, 2008

The new amendments also suggest lowering the maximum level of cyanuric acid from 100- to 40 ppm.

The new 40 ppm maximum stems from recommendations on fecal incident response by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Germ inactivation times for several waterborne illnesses were included in the CDC rule. Since then, CDC has raised the maximum to 50 ppm, a level that the Florida health department now is considering.

1695247111627.png

Loop Waiting GIF

Reactions: JamesW

What happens in Florida with filters? Do we not use them?

Second related question to this post, say CYA gets banned, what would the casual homeowner use instead? Theoretical question, I don't see them banning it any time soon for residential since everyone uses it for their pools, but if they did, what would everyone do instead since we keep our pools open year round here?

What happens in Florida with filters? Do we not use them?
Jim's reference is about the dinky, tiny, undersized pool filters that pool builders seem to use in Florida. Most members from Florida that post pics here have undersized filters.
We've seen pics of an 18k-25k pool with a 100 square foot cartridge filter more than once from a Florida pool.

If Florida banned CYA for residential pool users, it remains to be seen what pool owners there will do. It's highly doubtful that that would ever happen. I guess you could order off Amazon or another online retailer if so inclined.

Reactions: StuartBound

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.