CYA test

bryanq480

Jul 16, 2020
tempe, az
Hi all
long time reader here; got my test kit today
Did the CYA test at lunch, and the dot never disappeared ( it was a bit foggy), so I assume CYA between 20-30.
The water is 90 degrees, does that make any difference?
Also, as in phoenix with temps over 110, the reagents were a bit warm upon delivery; would that make a difference?

Welcome to the forum! Great job on getting a quality test kit!
Warm water does not effect the CYA test.
The test results will not be effected by the reagent temperature. Do keep the test kit in the house. Climate controlled.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

i guess the low CYA makes sense as i refilled last March, put about 30ppm worth of CYA in. I rarely use pucks, and with the ever so often rain, evaporation, backwash, spill out, hot temps, that is a pretty accurate number. I will get it to 40-50 ASAP. Thank you. I will also report back with all my numbers. :)

Backwash, spill out, and warm water temperature effects the CYA level. Evaporation does not.

You should test your CYA monthly from May through September here. I need to add 10-15 ppm per month during that time period.

See Recommended Levels

CYA is a dissolved solid. Just like salt, calcium, etc. So it stays in the pool when water evaporates. The auto fill adds plain water.

would you all recommend higher CYA as I am in phoenix? Pool gets full sun about 6-7 hours a day as there are large pine trees on both the north and south side of the pool. If so, best to use tabs or the sock method?

A CYA of 50 ppm should work in your situation. I would add via CYA granules. If you test that it drops 10 ppm later, then use tablets to raise it, if you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.