CVA 24 issue

JimSchu

Jun 28, 2020
New Jersey
Hi all,
i have a Pentair CVA 24 with an issue. The valve won’t energize to turn on my water feature. If I turn on the water feature (I have a Jandy AquaLink) then I over ride the value to the open position, all is well. When on, I then put it back into the auto position. When I turn off the water feature through the Jandy, the valve closes. So, something is wrong with it initially engaging.

so, I tried the following
- I bought new micro switches and replaced, it didn’t work
- I took a working micro switch from another working valve and still no good.
- I took the capacitor out of a workIng valve to see if it was it, no good
- I took the connector from the jandy board off, reinserted to see if any issue and no good

any thoughts from anyone who may of seen this type of issue? I am think it could be the mini control board in the valve but I am not confident. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Can you be specific on what buttons you re pressing or toggle switch you are flipping?

. If I turn on the water feature (I have a Jandy AquaLink) then I over ride the value to the open position, all is well.

Override it how?

When on, I then put it back into the auto position.

What do you put back in the AUTO position?

When I turn off the water feature through the Jandy, the valve closes. So, something is wrong with it initially engaging.

Is it always it does not turn on through the Aqualink but will turn off?

Jim,

When you want the valve to turn one way, you put 24 VAC on one wire.. When you want it to turn the other way, you put 24 VAC on the other wire..

Since it will not open, but it does close, that sounds like you are missing one of the two 24 VAC inputs.. (Since we have eliminated the microswitch)

As a test, I would move the connection inside your automation to a known working port and see if the actuator works or not.. If the valve still does not work, that would indicate a bad actuator or broken (or eaten) wire.. If the actuator works, that would indicate a bad port in the automation..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

Can you be specific on what buttons you re pressing or toggle switch you are flipping?

Override it how?
I override by going to the switch on the valve and put it onto,position 2.
position 1 is the program
then off
then up to position 2 which fully opens the valve

What do you put back in the AUTO position?
when I turn the spillway on, the valve does not move. so, I will put it to position 2 so it moves to the open position. I then put the spillway on with the Jandy system and then I flip the dip switch back to position 1 which is where it should be. When I then go onto the aqualink and turn off the spillway, the value does shut. So, it is the opening of the valve that does not energize.

Is it always it does not turn on through the Aqualink but will turn off?
it does not turn on as stated above but after manually opening, then putting the aqualink on, the aqualink willturn it back off.

Jim,

When you want the valve to turn one way, you put 24 VAC on one wire.. When you want it to turn the other way, you put 24 VAC on the other wire..

Since it will not open, but it does close, that sounds like you are missing one of the two 24 VAC inputs.. (Since we have eliminated the microswitch)

As a test, I would move the connection inside your automation to a known working port and see if the actuator works or not.. If the valve still does not work, that would indicate a bad actuator or broken (or eaten) wire.. If the actuator works, that would indicate a bad port in the automation..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim,
when I look at my panel, I have aux 3 open. Since we did not install, I am trying to find which aux the valve is connected to.
once I track down (wire nightmare) if I were to connect to aux 3, how would I turn on?

Attachments

• D2CC3BD4-2ECB-4D2D-ABBC-E77D278359E0.jpeg
    D2CC3BD4-2ECB-4D2D-ABBC-E77D278359E0.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 3
  • D6D29D0F-F21A-4AD4-AE6C-7D7279BB53A3.jpeg
    D6D29D0F-F21A-4AD4-AE6C-7D7279BB53A3.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 2
AUX 3 is a 2 pin high voltage relay connection and not where you connect a 3 pin 24V actuator. It is not usable because you have SPILLOVER enabled as AUX3 with dipswitch 3.

The actuator connections are in the upper right j14, J15, J16, J17.

Swap J14 and J15 and see if the problem moves with the actuator.

2258D619-B7C3-4C2E-AA68-403F6FA7053C.jpeg

Last edited:
I swapped 14 and 15 with no luck. when I took off the valve cover and removed the micro switch I put the valve switch in position 1 while the switch was off and the valve was turning 360. So, it has power, just not getting the right signal to initiate the valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.