Corded Pump

nomas94

May 10, 2020
Newmarket
Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations on a corded pool pump. It's really difficult to tell which pumps come with a power cord.

Id like a power cord to save $. There's a 120V recepticle by the pool hooked up to a timer. I don't want to go the hardwire route if I can avoid it.

Pool is 25000 gallons. One skimmer, two return lines. No additional features. 1.5" piping.

I've never opened it and the pump that came with the house is really old.

Any recommendations? Something available in Canada - ie via Pool Supplies Canada

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You mentioned "Id like a power cord to save $. " , but I think there may be a misunderstanding there. Whether the pump is hardwired or plugged-in with a cord, the motor itself is what drives the energy consumption. More specifically, whether it's a single speed or 2-speed motor. So what you probably need to do is find a supplier in your area, or that you can order online, that provides a 120V 2-speed motor that you can keep on low most of the time. That's exactly how my pump is set-up. There are variable speed pumps on the market for pools that can take advantage of those features, but I'm not sure if that would apply to your pool. Update your signature for us and it may result in more details.

If you have more questions though, please let us know.

Thanks for the reply. The cost I'm trying to save is on an electrician to come out and hardwire a new pump up.

I guess where I'm getting mixed up is connecting a AC plug to whatever pump I buy. Most pumps don't come with an AC plug. But I can't find any 'how to's'.

Is this particularly difficult? Can I just buy - say - a maxflo and attach an AC plug to it? Where do I find this plug ?

Again thx for the help!

Above ground or inground pool?

Pool pad above the water level or below?

Neither of those pumps gone with a power cord. Most inground pool pumps do not come with a power cord. It should be simple for an electrician to fabricate a power cord for you with a plug.

You may even be able to reuse the cord from the old pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.