Copper Levels and Poolife Intensive Stain Prevention

Dec 31, 2017
Rochester, MI
Hi and Happy Memorial Day!

Third year pool owner and I pretty much manage our pool day to day on my own and with the help of TFP of course. 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

This year (we just opened in Michigan) I noticed that my copper level is about 0.4 ppm and iron about 0 to 0.1 ppm, and wondered what people thought about those numbers and should I use something to avoid or prevent stains? My pool builder recommended Poolife Intensive Stain Prevention at the open but I wanted to check with folks here on TFP.

Our pool is about 40K gallons with a PebbleTech finish, nat gas heater, UV, ozone, etc.

Typical chemistry via LaMotte ColorQ Pro 9-Plus:

Borates - 50 ppm
Ca - 580 ppm
Alk- 80 ppm
CYA - 40 ppm
pH 7.5 - 7.7
FC - 3.5 - 4

Thanks in advance, jpb

Those values are at the very bottom of any standard reagent based testing. So unless the person is doing the test is extremely careful and accurate, they are probably as good as zero or close to it. Unless you are actually seeing some kind of staining on your surfaces, I wouldn't worry about it. Adding more "magic potions to fix XYZ" on top of your pool care isn't going to make your pool any easier to manage. You can certainly post info on this Poollife Intensive Stan prevention stuff but I guarantee it's probably nothing more than low concentration sequestering agent and probably some kind of clarifier ... nothing your pool needs at all.

Reactions: BluePool78
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.