Converting to Chlorine and DE filter keeps clogging

Emcgee

May 25, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi pool people! I’m really hoping someone can give me some tips here.

We’re in the process of converting from Baquacil to chlorine. The nice folks at the pool store said the BAQ levels were very low and to shock with cal-hypo, which we’ve done a few times. Pool is green which was expected.

The problem is: the DE filter is getting gummed up after a couple of hours and the flow becomes very low, so we change the DE an begin again but it’s a real pain and I’m wondering how long this is going to continue... help?

Welcome to TFP.

Have you read...

Bacqua goo is part of the process. You just need to keep up with that backwashes until the chlorine breaks it all up.

The nice folks at the pool store did you no favors with cal-hypo. Use liquid chlorine.

What test kit do you have?

Welcome to TFP.

Have you read...

Bacqua goo is part of the process. You just need to keep up with that backwashes until the chlorine breaks it all up.

The nice folks at the pool store did you no favors with cal-hypo. Use liquid chlorine.

What test kit do you have?
@ajw22, curious as to why the shock is no good for this process. Chlorine newbie here, so please forgive my ignorance. Pool stores don't seem to be much help I'm finding out

You are probably paying more for the cal-hypo per ppm then you would for liquid chlorine, you are adding unneeded calcium to your water, and you are probably not adding measured doses of chlorine.

Reactions: wildkatt
Thanks for the replies! Hmm...so I need liquid chlorine. Pool store said cal-hypo is stronger than regular shock, but didn’t mention liquid chlorine. We got the water tested and just using a basic pool chemical test for chlorine & pH, and strips for alk, hardness, etc.

The cal-hypo seems to be working...the water is a cloudy yellow-green. Problem is: our filter does not have a “bump” or backwash option. So to get this baquagoo out of the pool, we are running the pump constantly and several times per day we have to dismantle it to spray off the cartridge, replace the DE and start over. It’s a real pain in the rear... but I’ll keep at it if it will fix the problem eventually. But how long should I expect to have to do this? Ugh!

I’ll switch to liquid chlorine - how much and how often should I shock? I realize this is more effective cost-wise and for killing off the baquacil....but won’t the filter just keep clogging either way?

Follow the instructions in the article in post #2.

You can do it the TFP way following the article or you can do it the pool store way and I wish you luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.