Ocala, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
TFP has recommendations for pool chemistry. Fine. However, I was looking at my new Pentair gas pool heater's recommendations and they don't mesh.

Plaster pool, Saltwater generator

Heater TFP​
pH - 7.4 - 7.6 7.6.7.8​
Alkalinity: 80 - 120 60 - 80​
CH: 200 - 400 350 - 550​

As a new pool owner, I am trying to maintain "proper" pool chemistry, but I am also concerned about the expensive equipment.
Regarding the SWG, How often should I acid wash the plates? The Pentair IC60 recommends every 3 months.
Sorry. I haven't figured out how to create a table.

There are some differences as u can see but they also have some overlap/ happy medium which can easily be maintained to satisfy manufacturers recommendations.
Fyi- Every time you wash the swg plates with acid you remove some of their precious life.
Keeping csi in line along with all other Recommended Levels will lessen the frequency you need to clean the plates & keep scale in general to a minimum for all surfaces & equipment.
It’s often recommended to try to carefully scrape off any scale with a popsicle stick or something else non scratching before resorting to any acid (vinegar or muriatic).

Dave,

I have three saltwater pools and follow the TFP pool care process. All three pools have IntelliFlo pumps. IC40 SWCGs, and EasyTouch Automation systems.. In total they have been running for over 25 years and I have had zero failures, except for one pool taking a lightning strike. I have replaced two IC40s... One lasted over 9 years, the other over 7 years. All the other equipment is original.

I don't care what the manufacturer says, I'm using the science driven TFP chemical recommendations.

It is your pool and you should do what you want.. Personally, I like to do what I know works for me.. :mrgreen:

How long do you think TFP would be around if what we recommended damaged your pool or pool equipment... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

TFP has recommendations for pool chemistry. Fine. However, I was looking at my new Pentair gas pool heater's recommendations and they don't mesh.

Plaster pool, Saltwater generator

Heater TFP​
pH - 7.4 - 7.6 7.6.7.8​
Alkalinity: 80 - 120 60 - 80​
CH: 200 - 400 350 - 550​

If you trace back manufacturers manuals you will find that their recommended pool chemistry has not been updated since the middle of the last century. The science of pool chemistry has made some advancements in understanding since then. To the pool manufactures their recommendations are good enough and they have no reason to change them.

As a new pool owner, I am trying to maintain "proper" pool chemistry, but I am also concerned about the expensive equipment.

The "proper" pool chemistry has a wide range. Wider then what manufacturers recommend or TFP recommends before any damage to equipment occurs.

So you can follow their or ours and be just fine. However you will find that trying to maintain a low pH and higher TA will be an exercise in frustration and constant chemical additions.

Running pH a bit higher and TA a bit lower is much more practical and gives a more stable pH that needs less acid additions. There is chemistry behind this as to the way the pH seeks an equilibrium with the TA.

So choose what recommendations you want to follow. Either one will work. However I think as you get more experience with your pool you will come around that in practice the TFP ways work best.

Regarding the SWG, How often should I acid wash the plates? The Pentair IC60 recommends every 3 months.

Only acid wash the plates when they visibly need it and you cannot clear the scale off with blasts of water or a stick.

Now here is what Pentair does not tell you - everytime you acid wash the plates you reduce the life of the cell. The acid removes some of the rare earths that make the cell function. So acid washing the cell is not in your best interests. Although it can help sell more cells for Pentair.

In 20 years of running a SWG I have never need to acid wash the cell. If you follow the TFP chemistry recommendations you are more likely to not develop scale in the SWG.

The manufactures recommendations are ok but are not always in your best interests. Be more skeptical of them then of us.

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
Dave,

I have three saltwater pools and follow the TFP pool care process. All three pools have IntelliFlo pumps. IC40 SWCGs, and EasyTouch Automation systems.. In total they have been running for over 25 years and I have had zero failures, except for one pool taking a lightning strike. I have replaced two IC40s... One lasted over 9 years, the other over 7 years. All the other equipment is original.

I don't care what the manufacturer says, I'm using the science driven TFP chemical recommendations.

It is your pool and you should do what you want.. Personally, I like to do what I know works for me.. :mrgreen:

How long do you think TFP would be around if what we recommended damaged your pool or pool equipment... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

Thanks for your experience. As I have stated, I am a new pool owner (9 months) of an older pool and I am learning my way. I have an engineering background, so I try to follow manufacturer recommendations unless they lead to problems. I finally have my pH/Alkalinity in balance and my CSI is -0.29. I almost got my CH too high due to an accuracy falloff with my photometric testing device. I purchased a Taylor titration test kit which confirmed my suspicions. My CH is 520.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.