Continuation of an odyssey

Acid wash, inspection and fill on Monday. Fixing some of the draining and landscaping on Tuesday. The PB and I both suspect that we will be filling into Wednesday but he needs to be down here for another job... So worst case he volunteered to stop the fill on Wednesday.

What needs to be completed is the new gate and I just completed covering the outside of the redwood gate so there is no way someone could "climb it". Once I cool down I will morter some concrete blocks down on the new gate and tomorrow I will grout it... Fancier than the other two gates...

IMG_20190914_143434558_HDR.jpg

Yes the wood is the same. It should weather the same in about a month.

And since I started working outside, thd sun came out and it's now hot. But I got a couple more pictures of the "Irish Mist" dry.

IMG_20190914_143340332_HDR.jpgIMG_20190914_143257541_HDR.jpgIMG_20190914_143239876_HDR.jpg

Hopefully without a cannon being involved. :). I looked at the small Wally World by my house (which I have been boycotting as much as I can) and where they had liquid chlorine they now (I kid you not) have Christmas items up. No pool chlorine. I asked. Lowes had Christmas trees as well (its 100°F here today). But at least they had supplies, with the bleach being stored totally incorrectly. So I see a SWCG in my future for sure...

Here is what I am about to morter down to a footing underneath...

IMG_20190914_150315186_HDR.jpg

Reactions: PlaysARobin
Had another two inches of rain event yesterday. Acid wash hopefully will take all the rings and streaks off. Moved gravel back today, plus I hand dug where they will need to finish off drainage.. So now they can't say they don't know where.

Anyway some pictures with gravel moved back. I did mortar those blocks in.. I can't get it perfectly level, but it's not bad. I am going to eventually buy a small electric jackhammer and at that time I will rip out the ground under all three gates and pour pads anyway. But that realistically can be in five years... I need to grout tonight so I will post a picture of it tomorrow. IMG_20190915_155931964_HDR.jpgIMG_20190915_155953156_HDR.jpgIMG_20190915_155920045_HDR.jpg

When are they going to acid wash and begin the fill? I always thought it was a 24 hour deal, but you have had the plaster and no water for a few days.

When are they going to acid wash and begin the fill? I always thought it was a 24 hour deal, but you have had the plaster and no water for a few days.
It's a 24 hr deal unless they do it on a Friday, apparently. Supposedly tomorrow after the pool passes, if it does.

I guess it doesn't matter much until after the acid wash is done.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That sounds like good news! Great looking gates. In my experience people who tend to worry usually find something to worry about! ;) I'll leave it up to you whether you fall into that camp. :) Hopefully not!

It's a 24 hr deal unless they do it on a Friday, apparently. Supposedly tomorrow after the pool passes, if it does.

I guess it doesn't matter much until after the acid wash is done.
That is an odd answer.

My pebble was shot on a Sat.

Acid crew returned on Sun.

I asked my crew if that was normal and they said it doesn't matter what day of the week or holiday etc.

They get the acid done and start filling with water within 24 hours so the plaster doesn't start to dry out just sitting there.

I was told it was okay to sit until the acid wash, especially because we had a cool cloudy first couple of days. It doesn't look worse for the ware now though.

Gates are all spring loaded. The one I bullt is heavy so I have two springs on it.

And... We fill today, which is what I thought but my wife insisted that I was wrong. Doesn't happen much, honestly and it didn't this time.

Acid wash is happening now.
IMG_20190916_102344097.jpgIMG_20190916_102204381.jpg

And you think YOU have a tough job. It sucks being 20' away...

Reactions: NorCalX
I want to get the rest of the yard work done. I need to order some more of the matching gravel for the backyard and likely I will be doing that next weekend (if I can get on their schedule by then). And yeah I assume a bit of polar bear club will happen this year. I still need to figure out the Liquid Chlorine situation here soon including where I can store it inside. I might have to punt and store some of it at 85F.

But after playing Mason and landscaper last weekend, jumping into the pool afterwards would sure be nice.

And this week is going to be a long week too.. I may work a second shift to save a day of Paid Time Off...

Reactions: NorCalX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.