Continuation of an odyssey

We will see. On that unit it's like the low salt and hi salt lights.. if the unit thinks its on the high end or low end but is can still function then those lights will blink. I took it apart and there was still a little scale on the plastic parts that hold in the plates but not the plates themselves. Put it back together it still blinks. But the help manual suggests that you reset that light by holding in the function button... I did and it went away. I will see if it stays away. I have two theories, and I may contact CircuPool to ask them. Theory #1 is that a chunk broke loose and temporarily shorted a plate out and it detected it. Theory #2 is that there is a timer built into the unit (since the blinking light survived a power cycle but a reset worked). And I just happened to scale up in the same week I was supposed to service the cell anyway...

I did raise the salt level of the pool a little bit, to about 3600 on the K-1766.. it thinks it's averaging about 3700 but that's still within range .. When it first comes on it thinks the instantaneous level is 4100 but that does drop after a few minutes. It's not complaining about hi salt.

I guess I will see in the next week, but I likely will ask them manana...

The manual could mention this and the "help manual" could be less vague about it. If there is one thing I don't like about the CircuPool products it's the lack of technical information. I suppose I should look for what that same blinky-blinky light means on the Hayward AquaRite, since so far everything else is the same on that unit.

Hope that fix's it..What is the "help manual" you are talking about?

Something isn’t right. Sorry you have to investigate further. It was odd enough you had the first issue so soon, and now this ? Very rare for sure.
Well the manual says to descale the cell every three months. It was just three months yesterday if I am doing the math right... It was pretty scaled up. There is something about Tucson water that had all the tile lines here pretty trashed up, but honestly mine is the best I've seen after a year. I don't think I've ever let the pool get above about +0.2 CSI and usually I keep it slightly negative. I am going to keep it a little bit more negative. The problem I have is that TA is a little higher here (and there isn't a whole lot I can do about it) than the recommended range for the cell. I am going to start dosing MA twice a week instead of once a week, and see if that helps. If I can get the three seasons out of the cell I am supposed to, I will be happy. It's one of the reasons I picked the lower life cell but with a cheaper replacement.

Of course on top of it I noticed the pool cover is starting to fall apart. In a calendar year.. not quite... so that's another three year pool thing that isn't. Hopefully I will be able to use it until spring...

Last edited:
Hope that fix's it..What is the "help manual" you are talking about?
Sorry... Help Guide. The Edge doesn't have one.. (yet)

EDIT: The instructions on how to descale the cell are MUCH better in this guide for my unit. I did it correctly as far as I can tell even though I couldn't find the $#$@ cleaning stand...

I suppose I should look for what that same blinky-blinky light means on the Hayward AquaRite, since so far everything else is the same on that unit.
On the Haywards (mine) the check cell light goes off every three months .. its just a "nag light" it wants attention and doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Well the manual says to descale the cell every three months. It was just three months yesterday if I am doing the math right...
Go easy on the acid washing. you only have to acid wash if there is visible deposits. Otherwise let it slide. Too much acid washing will affect the life of the cell.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
So, on Sunday it looked like it was packed with a snowball. But you may have just confirmed that blinky light. I suppose if that is really the case then I was on schedule. I would like to go longer but I think our water has more rock in it than water at times. I do agree about the acid washing. The help manual tells you to do it five to one water to acid. I did six to one (and with Leslie's acid which is 29% and not 31.5%) and I think I could do it with a weaker solution next time.

It's just annoying that it scaled up so quickly... We will see. It's probably fine.

I actually bought a peristaltic pump (cheapie) to do bleach injection but I might hook a solar cell to it and put it in a box by the autofill or skimmer maybe controlled with an Arduino... I can probably get it to work with acid if I use the right tubing... The main reason I kept it closer to zero is that my pool and plaster is not yet a year old.. I didn't want to harm the plaster. Like I said I will make it slightly more acidic going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.