Continuation of an odyssey

Yeah. I went into work afterwards. Then my wife snagged me and then I got home at 815 PM and went to bed by nine.

I probably should take some pictures today. I was hoping for a little sunshine to do that (since it hasn't rained a drop since they finished despite the flood watches we have had). I will find a few more I suppose and take a few more. When I am not spraying it, it's white today and not gray. I am spraying it down as much as time permits this weekend... Hopefully I can get the wife and kids to continue until we get tile. And maybe it will rain this weekend. I swear that we get the reject meteorologists here. I have to be careful because I am a registered storm spotter, but I swear the accuracy of the forecasts this monsoon has be nearly zero. IMG_20190809_111040557_HDR.jpgIMG_20190809_121622509.jpgIMG_20190809_113656916.jpgIMG_20190809_113553551.jpgIMG_20190809_103509581.jpgFB_IMG_1565460697125.jpgFB_IMG_1565460711094.jpgFB_IMG_1565460720685.jpg

Last edited:
Fred! SWEET! It is DONE! Bet you will sleep a bit better now!

So what is that big hole with the shell around it?

Kim:kim:
The skimmer. Encapsulated in concrete to make it structurally sound.

Even the losers get lucky sometimes. 1.3 2+ inches of rain in about 20 minutes right after I took the last set of picture. About 1/2 mile away a palm was hit and caught fire. I wasn't home at the time.

A little more drainage work will need to be done. I probably need to still put gutters on the house too. There are so many complaints on the local Facebook groups of the terrible job of the grading done by the landscaping done by the big homebuilder of flooding this time it wasn't funny. So what's been done so far has helped greatly. Many people had backyards so flooded that water was at their back doors.

I still have a bit of a mess. I am debating getting the utility pump out. But.. Probably mañana. IMG_20190810_165259629.jpgIMG_20190810_165116709.jpg

The trench used to drain to the front so hopefully it still will when they are done. But I think the back of the lot to the wash needs to be dug out a little more...

Amazingly enough the walls of the pool seem to be sucking the water in.IMG_20190810_165031899_HDR.jpg
The only concern I have is that it looks like the light leaked from having water in the trench.. Some mud got in. I am sure that there is a way to waterproof it...

Last edited:
So it apparently rained more that two inches in less than a half hour here when I was gone. It overran the capacity of my tipping bucket rain gauge in inches per hour. Everyone seems to argue whos gauge is the most accurate around here... Mine is very good if it doesn't get overrun... I am going to get a $40 CoCoRaHS certified gauge once the pool and landscaping is done. Just for these very high rate rains...

Since that is the case the litte bit of shaping of the lot already helped a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only concern I have is that it looks like the light leaked from having water in the trench.. Some mud got in. I am sure that there is a way to waterproof it...

I am assuming the pool light cord is not in the conduit yet. You should be able to flush water thru the conduit from the pool side to flush it out. Just elevate the other end above the trench a little. Most pool light conduit will have water in it once the pool is full. The conduit will probably be run to an approved pool light junction box which is the required height above the water/pool surface. And then from that junction box back to the panel or light switch. There is usually no reason to try to waterproof the conduit from the pool to the approved junction box.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
I am assuming the pool light cord is not in the conduit yet.
They did only bonding and mounting the light fixture box before the pre gunite inspection. I can't tell if the cord is in the conduit or not as both the conduit and the fixture box are taped up on both ends with duct tape. It is possible that the 12v line is in the conduit. I suppose until they are done there are multiple places it can leak. I am not too worried about it at this time...

They did only bonding and mounting the light fixture box before the pre gunite inspection. I can't tell if the cord is in the conduit or not as both the conduit and the fixture box are taped up on both ends with duct tape. It is possible that the 12v line is in the conduit. I suppose until they are done there are multiple places it can leak. I am not too worried about it at this time...

Unless you have the actual light fixture in the pool or up on the - future - deck area and you can see the cord entering from the pool side light niche, the cord is not in the conduit. The cord is attached to the light fixture in such a way as to make that connection waterproof - and that connection is not field servicable. They will install the light and cord from the pool light niche and pull it back toward the junction box.

Where is the non-pool side of the conduit presently located? Any pic of this?

The conduit runs to the equipment pad and from there they will run above ground to the panel (like I did for the detached hot tub) so the equipment side isn't hooked to anything yet. All of the actual wiring minus the bonding and that conduit run hasn't been started yet. I could take a picture but it would not be very useful.

You mentioned the conduit may have gotten mud in it. Is the light conduit near the pad presently above or below grade? If it got mud in it, flush it out before the electrician comes to do the electric. Having the conduit cleaned out will make it easier to pull a new cord at some future point if needed.

Well, mud ran down the wall of the pool at some point but not a lot, so I suspect that you are correct about having a slug of dirt in there... I will need to look when it dries out. I suspect if I did it now, I would just let more dirt in...

But.. Maybe not. The cardboard under the over spray from the shotcrete looks brand new, like it didn't get wet. So I am confused where that stain came from. The light is near the skimmer and the conduit runs through the concrete to the skimmer and then through to the trench. It will probably be dry by Tuesday or so, there is no standing water left there... I probably shouldn't have knocked off the concrete, but it likely will be fine anyway. I was expecting it to be wet but it was really quite dry. Dunno... The other end was above water. So... Hmm I sorta don't think it is the conduit. I am also attaching the pad end pictureIMG_20190811_142842859_HDR.jpgIMG_20190811_141634108_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Its fun to watch the sausage being made... huh?
If I said what I am thinking right now I probably would be banned...

I am an engineer. Building stuff to me is worth learning as much as possible.....

I am also sorta using this as my build diary too.. So I am going detailed. Hopefully this will be useful to others later. I am reading about the Hayward RS-485 protocol for fun now... If you get my drift...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.