Considering permanant pool

I was SO excited to get a main drain in my pool thinking it would work to get all of the dirt and stuff out..........it did not work like I had hoped at all :( I need the skimmer to be the stronger of the two due to leaves so the main drain does not get much of anything. When we replace the liner down the road we will be removing the main drain.

What size pump and filter are you using kimkats?

The next issue I'm working on is whether or not I can run the main drain plumbing under the straps on an oval pool.

It's a buttress free design and I think the straps are just on the surface of the ground and used to tie the sides together but I don't know if it's ok to run poly under them.

Obviously I can't run it under the actual supports or plates. But is down the center acceptable?

As for running the piping under the straps, yes, you can. Just make sure to backfill the trench and tamp it very well. That's more so to prevent any liner divots than the piping.

Reactions: cj133
A main drain doesn't function as a floor cleaner. In order for the main drain to get debris from the floor of the pool you would have to brush everything to the drain whether the pump is running on high or not. When you have a main drain and skimmer you must balance the suction between the two for the skimmer to operate efficiently. Whether the skimmer is positioned to take advantage of prevailing winds will influence how well it is able to pull floating debris into its basket. Number and position of returns will also influence skimmer function.

I have a large amount of leaf drop so really need my skimmer to do the major work. I don't like to run my pump on high due to the energy cost. If I were willing to run the pump on high and/or direct most of the pull to the main drain then I am sure it would do a better job.

A main drain doesn't function as a floor cleaner. In order for the main drain to get debris from the floor of the pool you would have to brush everything to the drain whether the pump is running on high or not. When you have a main drain and skimmer you must balance the suction between the two for the skimmer to operate efficiently. Whether the skimmer is positioned to take advantage of prevailing winds will influence how well it is able to pull floating debris into its basket. Number and position of returns will also influence skimmer function.

I've noticed many say this, so I have to believe it to be true.
That said, I don't believe a single skimmer will be enough for a 1.5HP pump and 250lb sand filter. Or rather, I believe it'll flow better, with more. Perhaps I'm wrong?

If it isn't enough, would two skimmers be more beneficial overall than a skimmer + main drain?

Another issue I'm considering is how to winterize whatever I install. We have plenty of rocks, earwigs etc so I think flex pvc is out which I think leaves me with rigid pvc or poly.

My filter is 200 lbs sand & originally had 1.5 Hp motor. I switched to 1 Hp to reduce energy usage. Now I only run 2x a day for about 3.5 hrs each time. I have a wide mouth skimmer and recommend that you go with one too. I also have the aquadoor and the newer design really keeps water in the pool. (1st gen leaked). I have 2 weir doors, one for normal water height and another for after heavy rains with more foam to assist in creating suction.

My filter is 200 lbs sand & originally had 1.5 Hp motor. I switched to 1 Hp to reduce energy usage. Now I only run 2x a day for about 3.5 hrs each time. I have a wide mouth skimmer and recommend that you go with one too. I also have the aquadoor and the newer design really keeps water in the pool. (1st gen leaked). I have 2 weir doors, one for normal water height and another for after heavy rains with more foam to assist in creating suction.

And the system seemed to flow good even with the 1.5HP pump?
It didn't seem starved on the suction end?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, now with the smaller pump the internal pressure is not as high. Sometimes things float past, but that is usually from the wind pushing over the wall at the skimmer into the pool. I still get great flow & circular motion. I have the aqualuminator which shoots water along the side of the pool. The filter is in a corner of the oval and pushes water down the long side.

No, now with the smaller pump the internal pressure is not as high. Sometimes things float past, but that is usually from the wind pushing over the wall at the skimmer into the pool. I still get great flow & circular motion. I have the aqualuminator which shoots water along the side of the pool. The filter is in a corner of the oval and pushes water down the long side.

So,
One skimmer didn't seem like enough for the 1.5Hp pump?

Is your avatar from Doom?

Filtration works better on slow speed, and it will do a decent job on skimming if you orient the pool so prevailing winds blow toward the skimmer. You don't get a cleaner pool blasting the water through the system, in fact the opposite is true. Blasting the water through the filter may push larger particles through the filter media that it would normally catch. Also if you create a whirlpool in the skimmer, you will suck air into the plumbing which causes its own set of problem. If you are looking at getting a 15' pool, whether round or 15' x 12' you do not need more than a 1hp 2 speed pump.

Filtration works better on slow speed, and it will do a decent job on skimming if you orient the pool so prevailing winds blow toward the skimmer. You don't get a cleaner pool blasting the water through the system, in fact the opposite is true. Blasting the water through the filter may push larger particles through the filter media that it would normally catch. Also if you create a whirlpool in the skimmer, you will suck air into the plumbing which causes its own set of problem. If you are looking at getting a 15' pool, whether round or 15' x 12' you do not need more than a 1hp 2 speed pump.

We ended up with 15x24 with 54" walls.
I wanted a 3/4 hp pump but the package deal we went with was a 1.5hp 2spd pump and 250lb filter. I felt it was a better choice than a single speed 1hp which was mainly what this guy carried. I'll probably end up sorry and end up buying a smaller pump but who knows.

I don't know what good high speed will ever be. Maybe for vacuuming.....

;)

If you have a suction cleaner (on the works from the skimmer) you will NEED the high speed on the pump to help get all of the stuff up and out of the pool. Other than that..............low speed only. I will tell you the 2 speed will cost you a lot less in power than the single speed would. It has been said the low speed uses 1/4 the electric than the a pump with a single speed! So that is a good pick!

Kim:kim:

We have a 2hp/¼hp 2-speed pump and I didn't think it would work for vacuuming on low speed, but guess what: it does just fine with the manual vacuum on low speed. I said that just to say, don't be quick to dismiss how much suction you'll have on low speed.

We have a 2hp/¼hp 2-speed pump and I didn't think it would work for vacuuming on low speed, but guess what: it does just fine with the manual vacuum on low speed. I said that just to say, don't be quick to dismiss how much suction you'll have on low speed.

Last year I used an Intex 12" sand filter setup, I think it was rated for 1600gph as a system.
It was strong enough for a vacuum, I mean, it worked......

But I was far from happy with it when it came to vacuuming.

Perhaps the Hayward 1.5hp 2spd matrix pump will have more muscle in low speed than that, I don't know.

Dave,
I'm curious, do you ever run that pump in high speed and if so, when?

Avatar Yes from DOOM. Guy took a screen shot and Photoshop the heck out of it. Pretty cool video of how he did it. Pinky Guarding the Door. This is just a small clip of the whole picture. I use the picture as my desktop at work.

The single skimmer works great, just when the high winds blow stuff away from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.