Kj78unlv

Aug 27, 2020
Las Vegas
Hi! We are doing an owner build in Las Vegas and receiving conflicting info on the number of skimmers we need. The pool is going to be ~ 600 sq ft (~16,000 gallons). Excavation, shotcrete, and plaster subs are saying two skimmers and plumber and designer are saying one skimmer. Thoughts? How many would you have installed?

Skimmer details - 2"S WHITE WATER BOND IG SKIMMER (CTM-25-0153) (POOL360 - 2"S WHITE WATER BOND IG SKIMMER)

Link to layout: https://www.troublefreepool.com/media/final-design-drawing-jpg.151815/full

Last edited:
I would think it depends on how many returns and the shape of the pool. My pool is bigger than 16k and it was built with 2 skimmers. However I only use 1 skimmer because with both open I have to run the VS pump at a higher RPM. My pool skims fine with 1 skimmer and I'd rather save the money being able to run the pump at a lower RPM.

I'm no expert on new builds though, so perhaps we should wait for someone with more experience.

Reactions: Kj78unlv
Reactions: Cwiggs
Get 2 skimmers. With one skimmer if it has a problem your pool is dead. With 2 skimmers you can shut down one until it is repaired and still have a pool to use. The added cost of the second skimmer is minimal.
I didn't think of that, that's a really good point. Now I don't feel like my 2nd skimmer is a waste of space.

I would think it depends on how many returns and the shape of the pool. My pool is bigger than 16k and it was built with 2 skimmers. However I only use 1 skimmer because with both open I have to run the VS pump at a higher RPM. My pool skims fine with 1 skimmer and I'd rather save the money being able to run the pump at a lower RPM.

I'm no expert on new builds though, so perhaps we should wait for someone with more experience.
Curious. What rpm (gpm) do you set your pump to when you are using one skimmer?

Get 2 skimmers. With one skimmer if it has a problem your pool is dead. With 2 skimmers you can shut down one until it is repaired and still have a pool to use. The added cost of the second skimmer is minimal.

That is a very good point. Thank you! And thank you for the attachments.

Here is a link to the design layout - https://www.troublefreepool.com/media/final-design-drawing-jpg.151815/full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.