Confirming Light Change Details

Striff23

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Morganville, NJ
The light in my very old pool burned out this summer, so I decided to give it a try replacing the bulb. Unfortunately the screw was stripped pretty badly (I had never taken it out in the 15+ years I've lived here) and I ended up draining water down to let me get a drill in there to drill it out. I finished that task today, and wanted to confirm the next few steps. In reading some articles, I saw that some people felt that for old lights, it was better to replace the entire housing, as opening an old light will ultimately lead to a failed gasket and a leak and more trouble.
But it seems to me that I simply open the housing, replace the bulb, and if the gasket is in good shape, put everything back and all is well.
Is it that simple? I got the housing out of the water, but resisted the temptation to open it before checking.
Also, the housing says an R40 bulb works, so does that mean I can get an LED bulb with an R40 base to replace this and that's all it takes?
I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but some of the articles I saw have me a bit worried.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6598.jpg
    IMG_6598.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6600.jpg
    IMG_6600.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6605.jpg
    IMG_6605.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.