Concern about freezing temps

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello, I have an odd situation and have a concern about freezing temps we are expecting in a few days. I had some damage on the steps of my pool on the Pebble-Tec finish. These need to be repaired, and the only licensed Pebble_Tec company said they could only do it in the fall (as they are fully booked already next spring/summer. They drained the pool and prepped the steps yesterday, and will be doing the repairs today. Part of the repair is the pool will need to be refilled so the repair can "cure" for two week.

As luck would have it, we are now expecting temps to drop to 23 degrees overnight on Friday night. Even if they finish the repairs today, I don't believe my pool will be refilled to the skimmer baskets in before the freezing temps hit.

Does anyone have any recommendations to avoid any freeze damage? I am an amateur on this stuff.

For example, if the water level is not up to the skimmers by the time the freezing temps roll through, can I close the valve for the skimmer lines, and pull from solely the main floor drain, and return water through the return jets? (even though they would likely be above water level)?

I am open to any ideas/suggestions.

If you can isolate the floor drains for suction, you can certainly run the pump that way to keep the water circulating and avoid freezing. Although if the water is too low, it might be a little difficult to get the pump to prime.

The pool itself is not really in any danger. More so the above ground plumbing that you need to worry about.
Adding a tarp over the equipment pad can also help retain heat and avoid wind chill. And adding an incandescent light bulb under the tarp can add heat.

Well dang, that is awesome feedback and help!!!

I did speak with my pool service company, and they clarified to me that as long as I can run the pump to draw from the floor drain, and return through the return jets (even though those will be above the water line as the pool fills), I should be OK. They gave me an idea of how to make sure there isn't water in the skimmer drains. Basically run the system with just the floor drain running, and once that gets all established with good flow, then open the skimmer drains which will suck any residual water out of those. Not sure if I should leave them open or then close them after I do that. If I leave them open, I visualize them sucking air into the system (maybe this is an incorrect assumption).

I will also do the tarp and light idea. The heat from the pump might alone be enough to keep things in check.

Thanks so much jbizzle!!!

I often just throw a tarp over my equipment in the winter as it rarely gets cold enough to even worry about it.

That is a good trick to pull the water out of the skimmer. But, you should certainly close the valve to the skimmer as soon as any air is pulled into the pump.
Once the water is filled high enough to get into the skimmer, then you should be pulling from both the skimmer and floor to keep water moving.

The moving water in the pipes is likely enough to prevent anything from freezing unless you got VERY VERY cold. The tarp and light bulb is more insurance for if you are not running your pump while the air temp is below freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.