Complete Novice -- Just purchased Saltwater 8000

Blue_Iris

Feb 23, 2021
South Jersey
Hello Everyone!

Our family just purchased our very first AGP -- a Saltwater 8000 from The Pool Factory. We also bought the upgraded Uni-Bead Beach Haven Liner - 40 Gauge. We wanted to make sure we have everything ordered before the weather changes and there is another rush on pools.

I noticed that some items seemed a little cheaper on other sites. So far, I've also purchased the Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Above Ground Adjustable Pool Roll-Guard Safety Ladder on Amazon.

Next, I will be looking at pumps and a saltwater chlorine generator.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum. So much great information. Some of what I've read seems to say that a larger pump can be a better investment? Will an 18" Hayward Sand pump 1.5hp be adequate? or, should I look at something larger?

I've noted that many people place their pump on a compressor pad. What size do people usually go with? Will a 30" x 30" be large enough?

Saltwater chlorine generators seem to get very mixed reviews. Instead of recommending a brand, are there any features that I should be looking for?

Anything else I should be looking to buy before the summer comes? What accessories can you simply not do without?

Any words of wisdom for a first time pool owner?

Thank you for any and all advice. We are so excited about having our own pool!

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Congrats on your new pool!
A 1.5 hp pump is plenty big. I have a 33ft w/ a single speed 1.5 & no issues.
I had no choice for my pump but since u do you may consider a 2 speed pump- low for normal operation & then high for vacuuming. The lower speed is a little easier on the electric bill.
For the filter get the biggest one u can afford- this means u won’t have to backwash as often.
All my equipment is just on pavers - but a compressor pad seems like it would be nice 👍🏻 The nice thing about above ground pools is that you can move the equipment around to suit your needs if u don’t like it’s original placement.
As far as swg’s go alot of members here are very happy w/ their circupool units - they are one of the few that diy doesn’t affect the warranty.
You will want one rated @ 1.5 - 2x’s your pool volume. So for your pool volume of 13,500 gallons you would want one rated for 20-30k gals or more. The upsizing doesn’t cost that much more & you won’t need to run it as much which should make it last longer.
As Swg cells only put out a finite amount of chlorine in their lifetime. Basically you’re buying all your chlorine up front.
here’s a good comparison chart
When ordering things don’t forget your most important piece of equipment!
A good test kit !
Test Kits Compared
- the TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best value as it uses Taylor regeants & gives u more of them for the most used tests.
Lastly, Read up in pool school to get a better understanding of the chemistry & methods
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Feel free to ask anymore questions on your journey 😁

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.