Cloudy water

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
Beyond Frustrated!
I haven’t been on the forum in awhile, I’m not even sure my pool info is on here. 14000 gallon in ground with heat pump and auto cover. I have dealt with cloudy water for weeks. I slam, looks great, I pass the overnight chlorine loss, water looks great untill my chlorine reaches about 7 or 8, I open and the deep end is cloudy. Over and over. Any suggestions?
Chlorine-8
CC-0
PH-7.2
Alk-160
Cal Hard-275
CYA-60

Beyond Frustrated!
I haven’t been on the forum in awhile, I’m not even sure my pool info is on here. 14000 gallon in ground with heat pump and auto cover. I have dealt with cloudy water for weeks. I slam, looks great, I pass the overnight chlorine loss, water looks great untill my chlorine reaches about 7 or 8, I open and the deep end is cloudy. Over and over. Any suggestions?
Chlorine-8
CC-0
PH-7.2
Alk-160
Cal Hard-275
CYA-60

How are you testing? Do you have fresh re-agents? My first wag is not enough chlorine.

If your CYA reading is to be trusted, you are safe to swim up to free chlorine of 24. However, I do not trust it. When did you last add CYA? Can you post a picture of the CYA tube looking down into it?

If your CYA reading is to be trusted, you are safe to swim up to free chlorine of 24. However, I do not trust it. When did you last add CYA? Can you post a picture of the CYA tube looking down into it?
Well here’s the thing, my cya was previously at 30. I added 5 chlorine pucks to the feeder which raised it to 60. So I do believe I’m getting a accurate reading. I did just do pool math again at cya of 60 and the target range says chlorine can be as high as 9.

Well here’s the thing, my cya was previously at 30. I added 5 chlorine pucks to the feeder which raised it to 60. So I do believe I’m getting a accurate reading. I did just do pool math again at cya of 60 and the target range says chlorine can be as high as 9.

Normal running range is 7-9 with CYA of 60. But you are safe to swim up to SLAM level of 24. See chart below. If your chlorine level is typically 8, you would not have an algae/cloudy water issue. Something else is going on. How are you adding chlorine, manually with liquid (bleach)?

Normal running range is 7-9 with CYA of 60. But you are safe to swim up to SLAM level of 24. See chart below. If your chlorine level is typically 8, you would not have an algae/cloudy water issue. Something else is going on. How are you adding chlorine, manually with liquid (bleach)?

I use 12.5 liquid chlorine and add to the deep end .

What test kit are you using? How often are you testing chlorine after adding? How often do you add chlorine? I think you will need to do another SLAM. Do you use the poolmath app? If so, please share your results (in the app) so we can see them here.

Also - A pic of the cloudiness would be great!

What test kit are you using? How often are you testing chlorine after adding? How often do you add chlorine? I think you will need to do another SLAM. Do you use the poolmath app? If so, please share your results (in the app) so we can see them here.

Also - A pic of the cloudiness would be great!
I am at work today. I can post tonight. I use the recommended TFP kit. I test chlorine usually twice a day am and pm. i have not added chlorine in 5 days because it was so high after I slammed it just finally fell to 6 this morning. i do use the poolmath app, I can share. I really do not believe its algae.. Could it be something under the cover??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.