Cloudy pool

Sunny, have you read Pool School? I highly recommend it if you haven't. You will learn much more if you learn the steps that are outlined there. There are very specific directions on Shocking your pool in Pool School.

With that being said, I would check as often as I could with the maximum of being once an hour and the minimum twice a day. But, with that level of CC's, I would be checking as often as I could in order to get a grip on that pool.

You want to test and shock as possible. Once an hour will do the job the quickest. At a minimum we suggest once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once right before bed. If only doing it a few times a day however, shock it a few FC's higher to allow some extra wiggle room to maintain for shock level.

Just did my FC test

FC 5.5
CC 5
TC 10.5
TA 120

My Ph is little over 6.8 but less than 7.2

Dont know why the FC went down from 7 to 5.5 ?
I have brand new T-cell-15, should I keep it on super chlorinate ?

For overnight FC drop test do I need to shut off the pump ?

I am ready to pour 482 Oz of 6% bleach , unless otherwise some one suggest something else.
(I bought this bleach at Family Dollar for $2.50 for 182 Oz. Hope the quality is good !! :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have 3.5ppm combined chlorine. There is no purpose in doing an OCLT.

You need to shock your pool. Please read the information about shocking your pool, in pool school. Please... if you don't go read up on that we can not help you. There's too much information that you need to know, and it's all written down in pool school for you. We can help, but if you don't digest at least some basics everyone's time is wasted going round and round asking you to shock the pool that never gets shocked. Nothing gets solved and your pool stays nice and dirty, probably even goes green eventually.

I just scanned this thread, but it was mentioned earlier many times for you to bring the pool to shock level, maintain shock level with hourly testing, add bleach after each test to keep it at shock level and thus... shock your pool. Shock level is in pool school's CYA/Chlorine chart as well as the pool calculator. Enter your CYA level, then put ALL the bleach required to get you up to shock level into the pool.

What's that, 21ppm for 75ppm CYA from the pool calculator? You really do have to add enough bleach to reach 21ppm, at least. You're chasing your tail with anything less than 21ppm and wasting your money on chlorine.

Additionally, turn off the SWG while shocking. When your pool is clear and clean, then you can start it back up. Right now you're wasting the cell life. Plus you need to know the chlorine losses while shocking and if the SWG is on you'll never know.

Thanks you Sir. I am trying my best to come @ shock level. As mentioned I used Bleach from Family Dollar which I thought did not do enough job . I went to walmart & got the new stock of Great Value.

Lets see on Sunday how it goes...................
Again , this site has been very helpful so far.

Test the water half an hour after you add bleach. See if it gets close.

I think what has happened is that all the chlorine you added got consumed right away. This is normal with a pool that has lots of stuff to disinfect/kill. This is why you have to test hourly, and add more bleach right then. It's the chlorine doing what you're asking it to do, kill the organics. But this process depletes the chlorine.

I don't think the bleach was defective. I think what happened is normal and expected when this process is first started. Losing half your chlorine in the first hour is not uncommon. But if you keep it up there at shock level it will soon lose less and less. When this occurs you know you're on the winning side, keep it up.

Let us know how it goes, but don't forget to test hourly and re-dose back to shock level. It's the only way this is going to work in your favor. Post back with the hourly results, we'll be here to guide you. :~}

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.