Clear Pool with High Nitrates & high Chlorine consumption

Thanks Felipe. Thanks for the idea. I'll take a look. I guess I'm not sure why UV would be a problem now this year. The last few years the pool has been easy to maintain even in sunny/hot weather with the exception of high CYA toward the end of the season from the tablets. Right now I'm consuming about 5 gallons of LC a day which won't be sustainable.

Forgot to ask you about the LC date printed in the bottles, looks like a code but its a julian date. Please verify if your LC is recent as strength diminishes with time and heat.

It really seems like the CYA is below 30... I keep going back to you not loosing any FC overnight and then losing everything within hours of the sun coming up...

The problem everyone is thinking about is if we have you raise CYA and it does not help, then you will have to add more chlorine to get to SLAM level and we do not want to do that to you... On the flip side if the CYA is low or none then we are doing exactly that, wasting chlorine...

Just to confirm, the black dot is disappearing in the CYA tube at 30, is there someone else who can do the test also? This is the hardest test out of all of them and it really is a pain... I pour it back and forth about 10 to 15 times to be sure.

what was your FC last night after the sun went down and then this morning before the sun comes up?

Thanks for your input guys. I logged another test this morning and my FC showed a little higher (13) than my OCLT reading for FC last night (12). I think I've been skimping a little on the DPD powder on some of my tests and that seems to make a difference. My CC last night was .5 and it remained the same this morning. So it seems I passed the OCTL again.

As for the CYA, I had my wife look at the tube at 30 and she validated that she couldn't see anything at 30 but could see the dot at 40. I hear ya, I think you mind/eye can play tricks on you. Since this is my second day in a row passing the OCLT it seems I need to raise my CYA to compensate for my potential inability to do a good CYA test or just to raise it to 40 to see if there is any change in the huge daily FC loss. I'll probably also take a sample to the pool store to see if they can validate my reading. The forecast if for 96 with low UV of 1. Really don't know any other options at this point. Thoughts? Thanks again to all. You're great!

The only thing that I can think of that would match the information is possibly bromide in the water.

If you're passing the OCLT, there's nothing in the water that is using the chlorine.

That leaves the sunlight. If the CYA is good, the chlorine should be stable.

If you have bromide in the water, chlorine will turn into bromine and the UV can get it because bromine is not protected by CYA.

Do you know if bromine was ever used or sodium bromide was added?

Sodium bromide is in some products like Yellow Out and No More Problems.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I used two bottles of a product called Pink Treat last year to fight some pink looking algae/growth.. This is what it says when in went on line:

Pink Treat is sodium bromide and the active agent is the hypochloric acid which is formed when you shock the pool after adding Pink Treat. Pink Treat may do the job, however, once you use it your pool is converted from a chlorine pool to a bromine pool. Your chlorine consumption will always be higher.

OK...Wow. What do I do now?

Reactions: Kellyp
Shoot --- only way to get rid of bromide is to drain.

Good catch JamesW -- I thought about it but never asked -----

Reactions: Kellyp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Draining and refilling is the only way to really get rid of bromide. It might dissipate over time if the bromine offgasses, but that’s uncertain. You could switch to a SWG and try to manage for a while to see if the bromide will dissipate.

Note that draining can risk damage to the pool. Consult with a local expert to make sure that draining is safe.

Sorry , Gonna vent here a little but the pool store sells these to anyone and the guys that close my pool recommended it when I called about the pink algea. This is what the bottle says:

• Use: Algaecide; eradicate blooms of “Pink Algae/White Water Mold”
  • Compatible with: Pools treated with chlorine (including salt generators) and bromine
  • 2 lbs. bottle
  • Dosage Rate: 2 lbs. per 20,000 gallons
  • Chemical Type: Granular
What am I missing?

You would need to manage it as a Bromine pool
Needs to be covered during the day to shield the chlorine from the sun. Except for when being used. Chlorine would then need to be added before covering. Same process as a hot tub/spa with bromine.

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.