Clear Pool with High Nitrates & high Chlorine consumption

noalchidester

Bronze Supporter
Jul 3, 2020
Southampton Township, NJ
Hi folks,

New to TFP and doing my own testing. I have a 33K gallon pool and have dumped on two separate occasions 25 and 30 gallons of liquid chlorine. However the chlorine faded each time the next day. Right now the pool is clear and I'm bringing my CYA readings into the 30 - 40 range. I've read the SLAM process but have been told that due to high nitrate levels (potentially from my well or septic system) that I'm wasting my time to continue trying to overcome the problem with liquid chlorine. Local pool store is telling me to drain and bring in 33K gallons of nitrate free or much lower nitrate water from an external source. This will cost around $1500.00! I've read what seems to be conflicting info that Nitrates do and don't matter with getting my pool back in chemical balance. I've named my pool PITA and would love to change the name but I'm completely disheartened about the whole thing. Anyone who can clarify the nitrate dilemma and possible steps forward?

Welcome to the forum!
What test kit do you have?
Best advice, do not go to the pool store. Nitrates are immaterial. Follow the FC/CYA Levels.
Follow the SLAM Process
Post a full set of test results. Please fill out your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the quick response. I just received the TF-100 kit today. Here where I'm at with my test results:

CYA = 25 - I have two socks full of conditioner (4 pounds) and the pump running to circulate it.
TA = 90
FC = 0
PH = 7.2
CH = 250
Total Chlorine = 0.5

Waiting to get CYA to 30 and then will slam using 405 oz (3.2 gallons)of liquid Chlorine as my SLAM amount if I read the app right.

No need to wait to get CYA tested. Assume what you are adding is in the water.

To add 12 ppm FC to your pool, you need 4 gallons of 10% bleach. Add it now. Get started. Test FC and add more LC every couple hours.

Just do the SLAM and forget about Nitrates. The nitrogen in nitrate is fully oxidized and has an oxidation state of +5, which means that it cannot be oxidized any further, which means that it will not react with chlorine.

You might have ammonia, where the nitrogen is in the -3 state. At -3, the nitrogen can react with chlorine.

Ammonia is NH3 or NH4+.

When the nitrogen is oxidized, the hydrogen is released and is the same thing as acid.

So, if the pH and TA drop when you add liquid chlorine, you probably have ammonia. Just SLAM to completion.

2NH4+ + 3CL2 --> N2 + 8H+ + 6Cl-

SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Started my SLAM and my first FC reading was 12.6 after one hour. I get my 12.5% bleach in a five gallon jug and might have added a little more than 3.2 gallons. Based on my LC reading of 12.6 I don't plan on adding any more LC until I see what my next test reading is in an hour. Am I on track? Just to make sure I understand the LC adding process during a SLAM, if my FC would have been 10 I would need to add 67 oz. additional LC. Right? Thanks for all your help so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.