Cleaned sand filter now having big problems

Jun 16, 2009
South Carolina
I just overhauled my plumbing with a new VSP and SWG. I re-used the sand filter but did the deep clean from the stickied thread. Now I cannot get circulation with the various combinations. Here are the multi-port setting with results:

Filter: Pump will not prime, little to no flow returning to the pool
Recirculate: Same as "Filter" mode
Backwash: Prime surges but I only got the pump to fully "run" once, pumping out of the waste port
Rinse: Pump will prime but pumps considerable concentrations of sand out of the waste port
Waste: Full prime and shoots out of the waste port

When doing the clean, the stand pipe did float around some but I put it back into what felt like the proper place. Could I have scrambled the ports when I took the multi-port apart? I really don't think I broke a lateral with the water hose, but could that be it? I ran the "Rinse" mode for several minutes which I thought would clear out some residual sand. However, after all of that, the Filter/Recirculate are just as ineffective as before. Any ideas?

Check the water level in the skimmers before you tear into that filter again. You might have lost enough on Rinse to cause the pump to create a vortex and suck air.

And if you decide you have to open it all up to inspect, a wet-n-dry shop vac will save you many hours of scooping.

I would take it all out! Better safe than sorry and have to redo it.

When you go to put the sand back in do these things to protect your work:

-put something over the pipe like a plastic cup to make sure no sand can do down it.

-fill the filter up halfway with water to help "cushion" the fall of the sand.

-hand place the sand until the laterals are well covered and use care the rest of the way.

Saying that, make sure to REALLY look at all of the grids on the laterals. Are there ANY cracks or such? Are they filled with stuff? Are there ANY chips out of the pipe?

Take pics and share them with us. Someone might be able to see something to help you out.

I am hoping your taking it apart will do the trick!

Kim

It sounds like that either the stand pipe came out of the lateral distributor or the lateral assembly has moved. The above advice of removing all the sand and inspecting and reinstalling it all is good sound advice.

It sounds like that either the stand pipe came out of the lateral distributor or the lateral assembly has moved. The above advice of removing all the sand and inspecting and reinstalling it all is good sound advice.

This certainly could be the case. I will take all of the above advise and start as soon as I get home! I as going to buy a new multi-port and get it expedited just in case, but nobody seems to suggest that it is part of the problem.

but nobody seems to suggest that it is part of the problem.
About the only thing that goes wrong with the multi port is the "wagon wheel" or "Spider" gasket. It's easy to inspect by unscrewing the circle of screws and removing the top and handle. It's worth looking at.

You could have more than one issue.....did you check your water level as Richard320 suggested?

I find your situation intriguing, and I'm watching progress myself to see how this one turns-out. At first, the fact that most of your issues were related to the pump not priming would not have pushed me towards the guts of your filter. I would've been focused solely on the suction side. But then you mentioned the stand pipe and questionable reattachment during maintenance which certainly warrants a full inspection. MP valve ... hum ... perhaps. I might have ruled-out everything else first before buying, but I'm sure it will come-in handy at some point - if not now later. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

What still throws me for a loop is that RINSE pumps water out freely (concentrated with sand however) and FILTER does not. The only difference according to the STICKY w/ illustrations is that RINSE goes out WASTE and FILTER goes to DISCHARGE. Why the disparity?
If your filter is clogged, the pressure the pump is trying to overcome will be too great and it won't develop any suction. It can't suck any water if there's nowhere to send it. On waste there's no restriction, hence it primes.

The surging sounds like low water level, and that's the easiest thing to check and fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You mentioned scrambling the ports when you messed with the valve in post #1. It almost sounds as though the MP valve (inside) is not aligned-up with what you think on the label. Perhaps it was reattached incorrectly? Something to consider when you are inspecting everything else perhaps?

If your filter is clogged, the pressure the pump is trying to overcome will be too great and it won't develop any suction. It can't suck any water if there's nowhere to send it. On waste there's no restriction, hence it primes.
This too makes perfect sense.

the top has to be positioned in the proper location with the bottom part of the valve before tightening, if i remember correctly it is possible to mount 180 degrees out or 1 or 2 bolt holes to left or right, and would alter the timing of the top to the bottom, with regards to the top plate not covering the chambers on the bottom part of valve, what maybe was rinse position is now filter position etc, the reason i don't remember though is because i know the way it is supposed to be to begin with, and would never have to worry about whether or not its possible i positioned it wrong, it may be closing off a port half way and opening another half way,like overlapping them, if it is even actually possible to mount the top wrong

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.