zero-degrees

May 26, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Historically I'm pretty clear at start up, not this year.
Started the year super cloudy with about a foot of visibility - chlorine levels were at 0.

Spent the last 2.5 weeks trying to align everything, and am "Clear" but not crystal, and am running out of ideas.

Opening info 4/6/24:
FC: 0
PH: 7.4
Alkalinity: 150
CH: 265
CYA: 110 (no idea when this went haywire)
Iron/Copper: 0
Phosphates: 3,000

Did the normal work needed - Vacuuming, Acid to lower Alkalinity/aeration to pull PH back up after, Cycle water out/fresh in to bring CYA down (moving away from pucks this year), Started Slamming

Continued to Test myself but also have had a few pool store samples run, but as normal, ignored all there recommendations.

Where I am today 4/22/24 Slamming has been completed for several days, FC levels hold overnight and combined is 0 to .5 or less - BUT, I'm not CRYSTAL CLEAR.....

FC: 10
CC: 0 to .5
PH: 7.4
Alk: 140
CH: 220
CYA: 40-45
Phosphates: 1k or less

I know I need to drive ALK down some more with Acid, but would that elevated ALK really keep me from being CRYSTAL clear? Installed new filters 2 days ago as well.

I'm NOT a fan of clarifies, but I'm about to give in and try.... I'm at a loss (pics showing current today to where I was 3 weeks ago)

Attachments

• Current - 4-22 2.jpg
    Current - 4-22 2.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 3 - Current 4-22.jpg
    3 - Current 4-22.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 - Start of SLAM.jpg
    2 - Start of SLAM.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1 Cloudy Opening.jpg
    1 Cloudy Opening.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 14
CYA of 50 requires a FC level of 20. We round up CYA.

TA does not effect water clarity.

Continue your SLAM at FC 20 until your water is clearer.

SLAM level was 25, that is what was held to get us to what you see today. FC over night test was holding several days in a row, so what you are seeing now is what has come down over the last week since the FC was in the 20's.

CYA of 50 requires a FC level of 20. We round up CYA.

TA does not effect water clarity.

Continue your SLAM at FC 20 until your water is clearer.
SLAM took FC to 25 with a DPD test kit, held 20+ for almost a week, VSP pump runs 24/7
If CYA is 40 or 50 then your SLAM level would have been 16 or 20. Did you get that high during the SLAM? Pump running 24/7?

So you can kill or mostly kill all the algae and the FC holds. Then it takes time for the filter to do its thing and remove it all.

You keep the FC up throughout, or you risk losing the upper hand in the battle. Plus, the daily brushing and vac job may expose new layers of algae on the wall (etc) which will need the elevated FC.

You don't OCLT until the water is pristine. You only need to fail one criteria for SLAM to continue, it doesn't matter which one. :)

To be 'clear' to any of the newbs who find your thread soon while researching their own fiasco,

Clear water is not :

Still cloudy
Kinda better
Much better
Floor still poofs when brushing
visible algae anywhere like the steps or skimmers

Clear water is :

You panic when you glance back there and thought the pool was empty. You race back to the pool and realize its still full. Then you come call me out and say something along the lines of

'DUDE !!!! TFP clear is NO JOKE !!!!'

*then you OCLT. :)

SLAM level was 25, that is what was held to get us to what you see today. FC over night test was holding several days in a row, so what you are seeing now is what has come down over the last week since the FC was in the 20's.
Another tip to 'speed it up' may be to increase the amount you pull through the floor drain vs the skimmer (to increase down deep circulation). If you don't have a main drain, you can leave your manual vacuum in the bottom of the pool with the head turned on its side so that its not sucking against the floor - improvised main drain.

Reactions: zero-degrees