Circupool Edge vs RJ series

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I was talking to discount salt about what size Edge and they said I should get the RJ45? I thought that was strange because the RJ is an older system but cost more.
Anybody know why? Hate to wonder but maybe they make more off the RJ?

Mark,

With an 18K pool in GA, you need a 40K or bigger SWCG..

I am not sure about the RJ vs. the Edge... I have seen a lot of good reports here about various RJ units, have not heard much one way or the other about the Edge.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bought the RJ45+ last year for our pool. The CORE was available. Looking at the EDGE my choice would still be the RJ45+.

The difference appears to be with the control panel (Full Disclosure: I did not download the manual, so the EDGE may have more capability). The EDGE have a few buttons and uses display LEDs to represent output. The RJ has a matrix display, where output is an actual number (and more than 8 choices to select output). With the RJ you can also see the "Temp", AVG and current Salinity, Voltage and Current draw of the cell. There is some other diagnostics info as well.

It costs more to include a matrix chip, program and display the data, which could explain the cost difference.

Being more techy I prefer this matrix display, and would choose RJ45+ again over the EDGE (or CORE) series.

Hope that input helps with your decision.

Reactions: markayash
Thanks, I did notice the RJ has more features like a cold weather button that cuts chlorine production down during cooler temperatures,
They are also calling it the Rj45 plus and saying its a 3rd generation salt cell..
Sounds like the Rj45 is what I will get :) Been delaying buying one for a while but everytime I opened the bucket of tablets and had to run away to keep my eye's from burning out of my head ( even 2' away ) I thought why :)

Mark,

There are a number of factors in choosing the right model. For me it was $/LB Cl, DIY penalty, Warranty, and reputation on here. The two models you're looking at are equal in all these categories except $/LB Cl. The edge is 1.7 lb and the RJ 45 is 2 lb. Price is the same. Easy choice for me - RJ 45.

Chris

Thanks, I am actually worried about over producing :) 8 or 9 months a year I run my pump on low speed 24x7..Personal preference more then required..We have a spa and a water fall and I enjoy hearing it and watching it outside.
If it does I will add a timer just for the Circupool

Thanks, I am actually worried about over producing :) 8 or 9 months a year I run my pump on low speed 24x7..Personal preference more then required..We have a spa and a water fall and I enjoy hearing it and watching it outside.
If it does I will add a timer just for the Circupool
Mark,

That will work fine. We use our spa a LOT and just control the pool FC with a separate automation relay on the swg. Sort of the same effect to run it with a timer. We just make sure the swg is off when we switch to spa mode. Normally this isn't a problem for us since we run the swg early in the pump cycle and we do the spa late afternoon or early evening. If you use a separate timer just make sure you wire the line lugs from the load lugs for your pump so you have double protection against running the swg without the pump running. The swg will have a flow switch that provides this protection and many swg manufacturers suggest you can depend on this switch alone. When it comes to safety to prevent high consequence events many of our experts recommend double protection. I completely agree and strongly recommend this also.

I hope this helps.

Chris

PS We swim a LOT and love our salt pool!

If the cell if after the heater will the hot water damage the cell?

Was looking and can get the Edge-35 for $838 compared to $959 for the RJ-45..I think either would be more then enough chlorine since I run my pump 24x7..Some folks said Discoutsalt said Edge over RJ and some said the opposite..Guess it depends on the sales guy/gal ?

Last edited:
The SWCG is the last device prior to the pool water returning to the pool. So it will be after the heater.

Only issue I remember with the Edge is all the electronics are exposed to the weather. The RJ has a power center box that can be placed under an eave, etc.

Thanks, looks like it has a smaller control unit but the cell is one piece so you replace the whole housing vs the insides from what I can tell..But the cell actually seems to be a little cheaper.
You might be thinking of the Core which is a one piece uni and that also concerned me..Never know when a limb falls on it and you are done.

Here is the Edge, I would upsize to the 40 for $1 more

The RJ will show salt levels vs just " low level" but I am guessing I would end up using test strips any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the cell if after the heater will the hot water damage the cell?

Was looking and can get the Edge-35 for $838 compared to $959 for the RJ-45..I think either would be more then enough chlorine since I run my pump 24x7..Some folks said Discoutsalt said Edge over RJ and some said the opposite..Guess it depends on the sales guy/gal ?
Mark,
You kind of nailed it. When one barely meets TFP recommendation and the other exceeds it a little. If the budget's tight I go for the cheaper, if not I try to get the best one. Just to clarify though are you sure it's an Edge 35? I only see a 25 and a 40. No Edge 35.

1580074324434.png

Chris

Its the 40, the core is the 35..Been looking at too many models..engineering brain over thinking it :) I think both would work great and read good reviews on the Edge on a few sites..It is supposed to be their newer unit..I like the one piece Core but also worried about weather and the display etc.

I am leaning toward the Edge40, My pool is probably between 18 and 20K and another guy had a similar pool and run time and had to add a separate timer even on the weakest setting :)

You pay $1 and jump to the 40..It was $30 less last month :(

1580087026821.png

Mark,
Everybody had to decide on their own personal preferences. You don't have to guess about run time. Use the Pool Math app. The RJ 45 at 2 lb/day will add 1 ppm FC per day at 40% with 4.5 hr run time. Just set up the Pool Math app and choose a model with the same cl production. Then go to "effects of adding". You can accurately predict and compare results of any model available. I've found this tool to match my actual pool operation very closely.

Bottom line both the units you're looking at should do fine. Which one is best for you is mostly personal preferences... I'd probably go for the RJ 45 but your personal preferences will dictate the right answer for you.

Good luck!

Chris

Last edited:
I ordered the Edge40, circupool said both would be great units but RJ would give water temp and salt level which I can do without..Plus Edge40 was $120 less.

Been debating this purchase for 2 years, now I have to convince myself to get a robot cleaner :)

I ordered the Edge40, circupool said both would be great units but RJ would give water temp and salt level which I can do without..Plus Edge40 was $120 less.

Been debating this purchase for 2 years, now I have to convince myself to get a robot cleaner :)

To tell you the truth, I look at water temp and salt level the most on my RJ-45+. That way I know when I am getting close to needing salt or when the RJ will stop producing chlorine because of water temp. Also having the water temp is nice to know BEFORE you jump in come Spring. :)

Keep us posted on how you like it. Im in the same dilemma. Looking to purchase the edge-25 or the comparable RJ series.

I probably wont do the install for a month but the prices were going up. I emailed Circupool and they said the RJ had more features but both would do a great job..
Sad part is we may use the pool for swimming maybe 12 hours a year! Be interesting to see since we are about to be empty Nestor if we use it more or less.

Reactions: Boogfj40
Does water running through the cell shorten the life or only when it's producing?

FYI discount salt does sell a bypass pipe just not listed on their site...I also bought it since I leave my pool open all year and may install the bypass pipe during the cold months.

There is no need to remove a SWCG cell as long as you do not have a threat of freezing. Water running through it does not shorten its life.

The bypass pipe can make installing the cell easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.